Rosary/contemplation question

• Thread starter Thread starter trimont
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

trimont

When praying the rosary, in the middle of the Hail Mary’s, Pope Paul VI in his Marialis Cultis, refers to a practice I’ve heard of, when he says:

“at one time there was a custom, still preserved in certain places, of adding to the name of Jesus in each Hail Mary a reference to the mystery being contemplated. And this was done precisely in order to help contemplation and to make the mind and the voice act in unison.”

I’m wondering if anyone has a written list of how to insert this practice smoothly - I’d like to incorporate it in my daily rosary, but would probably stumble with it. Any ideas or help out there? :confused:

Thanks!

I am not exactly sure if this is the same thing, but I picked up a practice from a group at Church that says the rosary together after weekday Mass that helps contemplation - you will find web sites that mention for each mystery a “Fruit of the Mystery” - for example, Agony in the Garden - Fruit of the Mystery, Sorrow for Sin (we say all of that). I found the fruit of the mystery really helps me focus and contemplate, and I feel it’s a better approach because it answers a long-standing question I had as to what am I supposed to gain in growth from these mysteries, besides the obvious praying to Mary for her intercession.

The “Fruits of the mysteries” are excellent!

Thanks for your reply, awalt. I agree about the value of considering the fruit of the mystery and I do - but at a different point in the prayer.

When introducing each mystery, I pray a related bit of Scripture and at the close of this scriptural introduction, I mention the particular fruit… then follow with the Lord’s Prayer and Hail Mary’s.

The question I have is the practice of mentioning/recalling again in a brief, and smooth way, that particular mystery in the middle of the Hail Mary’s.

Maybe I’m making too much of this, but I know there are some who do it this way, and am hoping for their assistance. Thanks again!

Secret of the Rosary, St. Louis de Montfort, p 117

These words should be added after “Jesus” in the Hail Mary.

Joyful mysteries - (Annunciation) incarnate, (Visitation) sanctifying, (Nativity) born in poverty, (Presentation in the Temple) sacrificed, (Finding in the Temple) saint among saints

Thanks Urquhart - that’s exactly what I was looking for. Anybody have ideas for the 15 other mysteries!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back