Rosary, focusing on

• Thread starter Thread starter dizzy_dave
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dizzy_dave

How do I focus when I say the Rosary? I have a hard time focusing on the Mystery and the prayers all at the same time, I either find myself focusing on one and not the other or something else all together. How do I focus on them both at once? I can’t keep my mind clear.

40.png
dizzy_dave:
How do I focus when I say the Rosary? I have a hard time focusing on the Mystery and the prayers all at the same time, I either find myself focusing on one and not the other or something else all together. How do I focus on them both at once? I can’t keep my mind clear.
One possibility is to get a copy of the Magnificat Rosary Companion, a small booklet about the Rosary. It contains a beatiful picture (painting) and set of prayers and reflections for each Mystery. Perhaps keeping your attention on the pictures would help you stay focused?

40.png
dizzy_dave:
How do I focus when I say the Rosary? I have a hard time focusing on the Mystery and the prayers all at the same time…
This is a very common problem that I, for one, share with you. One solution I have found, which started in Europe, is to to repeat the events of each mystery while saying each Hail Mary.

For example, using the Joyful Mysteries:
  1. “Hail Mary . . . and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus, whose incarnation was announced to the the Blessed Virgin by the Angel Gabriel.”
  2. “…thy womb, Jesus, whose Mother, Mary, visited her cousin Elizabetth, who was pregnant with John the Baptist at the same time.”
  3. “… thy womb, Jesus, whose birth took place in a manger in Bethlehem.”
  4. “…thy womb, Jesus, whose parents presented Him to the priests of the temple in accordance with Jewish law.”
  5. “…thy womb, Jesus, who remained in the temple to teach the priests after His parents had returned to Nazareth.”
The purpose of the Rosary is not so much as to pray to Mary, but to spend time thinking about the events of Our Lord’s life. You can be as creative as you want in saying the Rosary this way, meditating on the events of Our Lord’s life and what they mean to you.

You’ll still have to keep count, but you will be reminded with each Hail Mary of the events of the Lord’s life.

When I pray the Rosary this way, I might change what I say after each Hail Mary in a decade to cover all the things that I know about a particular event.

For example, using the Nativity, I might using the following:

Whose parents were required by the Romans to report to Bethlehem

Whose parents found no room at the inn when they arrived in Bethlehem.

Who became Man and was born in Bethlehem to redeem us from our sins

Who was born in a manger in Bethlehem

Who was wrapped in swaddling clothes

Whose birth was announced to the shepherds by angels

Who received the shepherds who came to adore him

Who received the gifts of the Magi from afar

Who fled Herod’s rage with his parents

Who live in Egypt until it was safe to return

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back