Rosary mysteries

• Thread starter Thread starter mark_a
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mark_a

When were the mysteries of the Rosary organised (joyful, sorrowful, etc.) as they presently are?

"that the first groups to combine the repetition of the Hail Mary with the contemplation of Mysteries were other religious orders in Prussia around 1300 A.D. "

“There were numerous competing versions, advocating as few as five Mysteries and as many as 200. The matter was not settled until 1569. In that year St. Pope Pius V, himself a Dominican, issued an apostolic letter establishing the fifteen-Mystery form of the Holy Rosary as the official, Church-authorized version. This was the format in use for the next four centuries. In the year 2002, Pope John Paul II published an apostolic letter that added five more Mysteries, making a total of twenty authorized Mysteries.”

Source: ixeh.net/faith/Treasure/Main/history.html

The 20 mysteries we have are for public recitation (although the rosary is private devotion), but you can meditate on any aspect of the life of Jesus and Mary while praying the rosary. The defined mysteries are meant to keep groups of people on the same page and to give a foundation for our private prayer.

I would also like to point out that by reciting one set of mysteries each day we can live what amounts to two miniature church years every week. We have lent on fridays and tuesdays, advent on mondays and saturdays, Easter on wednesdays and Sundays and Ordinary time on Thursdays.

If you go with the traditional rosary you have all of the church seasons twice and then then you have sunday to reflect on the current liturgical season. It might also be a good practice for those who prefer the traditional mystery days to use sunday for the luminous mysteries during ordinary time.

Not exactly a propos to your question, but related - I like to think of the 3 traditional groups of mysteries as related to the theological virtues: faith, hope and charity (love).

Annuciation - faith in giving your life - “fiat”
Visitation - faith that Christ lives in Mary and by extension in each of us - unseen by the eye
Nativity - faith of responding to God’s word like the shepherds in responding to the angels’ announcement
Presentation - faith in God’s promise like Simeon
Finding - faith that when we walk away from God we can still find Him in the Temple

Garden - hope in mental anguish - Christ was there, too
Scourging - hope in physical pain - Christ was there, too
Crowning - hope in humiliation - Christ was there, too
Taking Cross - hope in the walk through life to death - Christ was there, too
Dying - hope in death - Christ was there, too

Resurrection - Love of God to give us life from death
Ascension - Love of God to return to Father
Pentacost - Love of God to always be with us in this life
Assumption - Love of God for Mary and all of us to take us to heaven
Crowning - Love of God to crown Mary and all of us (Saints throw down their golden crowns before the throne…)

As to the Luminous mysteries I mediatate on them as sharing in the life/wisdom of God
Baptism - Christ shares our Baptism
Cana - Christ shares our joys - especially marriage and family
Preaching - Christ shares his teaching/wisdom
Transfiguation - Christ shares eternal life with a glorified body
Eucharist - Christ shares his body and blood

I find these short enough to keep in mind while I say the prayers - and I find them helpful - and I don’t think they are inappropriate.
Pax te cum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back