Rosary Question: praying more than one set of mysteries

• Thread starter Thread starter nobody
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nobody

When you pray more than one set of mysteries do you repeat the Apostles Creed, Our Father, 3 Hail Mary’s, Glory Be? Or is it okay to go straight from, say, the 5th Joyful to the 1st Luminous? Or do you at least say the Hail Holy Queen in between?

I would think that you would need to do the entire process again, always ending with the Hail, Holy Queen and starting again with the sign of the cross/the Apostles Creed. I may be wrong.

40.png
nobody:
When you pray more than one set of mysteries do you repeat the Apostles Creed, Our Father, 3 Hail Mary’s, Glory Be? Or is it okay to go straight from, say, the 5th Joyful to the 1st Luminous? Or do you at least say the Hail Holy Queen in between?
If you continue from say the Joyful, Sorrowful, Glorious Mysteries all at one sitting, then you don’t need to repeat the Apostles Creed, Our Father, or Hail Marys.

If you say the mysteries on their desginated days, then you do need to say the entire prayers, at least that is what I have observed others doing in group prayer.

There are slight differences in the way people say the Rosary.

theworkofgod.org/Devotns/Rosary/Rsecrets/secret.htm

40.png
Lorrie:
I would think that you would need to do the entire process again, always ending with the Hail, Holy Queen and starting again with the sign of the cross/the Apostles Creed. I may be wrong.
The Apostles Creed at the beginning, the Hail Holy Queen at the end. In between you can say as few or as many of the mysteries as you wish, just keep going. I especially like going from 5th luminous, the last Supper and institution of the Eucharist, to the 1st Sorrowful, Agony in the Garden, or the last Sorrowful the crucifixion and death of Jesus, to the first glorious, the Resurrection. Reminds us that the gospel message we are meditating on is one complete event, not a series of isolated stories.

the traditional days for each set of mysteries is just a suggestion, not mandatory, and there are many valid ways to say the rosary. Since it is essentially a private prayer, even when recited in a group, it is not bound by rules as strict as the LOTH. do what works for you and the group you pray with.

There is no “correct” way to pray the Rosary when going directly from one set of mysteries to the next. It is a private devotion.

Baldwin

Actually one rosary consists of all 15 (now 20) mysteries. If you are praying the whole rosary, you only start the rosary once, with the Creed - Our Father - 3 Hial Marys, then you pray through all 15 or 20 mysteries. If you WANT to start over after each set of mysteries, you may, but that would only be because it is your preference, it would not be wrong.

Normally when we pray the Rosary we only pray a third of it (or a forth if your include the mysteries of Light) one set of mysteries.

If something, for eg. a requierment for a penary indulgence, states to recite a rosary, only one set of mysteries sufices to fulfil the requirements, you DO NOT need to pray the whole rosary, however you need to complete the third of the rosary in one sitting (FOR THE PENARY INDULGENCE) otherwise you receive only a partial indulgence.

40.png
DJJG:
Actually one rosary consists of all 15 (now 20) mysteries. If you are praying the whole rosary, you only start the rosary once, with the Creed - Our Father - 3 Hial Marys, then you pray through all 15 or 20 mysteries. If you WANT to start over after each set of mysteries, you may, but that would only be because it is your preference, it would not be wrong.

Normally when we pray the Rosary we only pray a third of it (or a forth if your include the mysteries of Light) one set of mysteries.

If something, for eg. a requierment for a penary indulgence, states to recite a rosary, only one set of mysteries sufices to fulfil the requirements, you DO NOT need to pray the whole rosary, however you need to complete the third of the rosary in one sitting (FOR THE PENARY INDULGENCE) otherwise you receive only a partial indulgence.
Correct, thankyou. 👍

40.png
Eireann:
If If you say the mysteries on their desginated days, then you do need to say the entire prayers, at least that is what I have observed others doing in group prayer.

There are slight differences in the way people say the Rosary.
You don’t “hafta” do it any way, you pray in the way that benefits your meditation on this particular day. We seek some uniformity so that when we pray in a group we are all on the same page, and because that makes people more comfortable especially when they are learning. However the rosary is a private prayer. If you want to stay with the sorrowful mysteries for a week, or meditate on the joyful mysteries all during Advent, or stay with one mystery, or add other prayers at the end of the rosary, do it. If you find yourself pausing in the middle of a Hail Mary for an extended meditation, do it.

The Liturgy of the Hours is the public prayer of the Church, so even when we pray alone we follow the prescribed format and psalms, but the rosary is a private, meditative prayer with an outward form that is a guide and draws us into meditation, but the rules are not strict. When you are leading a group rosary it is a kindness to stay with the generally accepted format of your group.

I pray all four sets of mysteries everyday at different parts of the day. I always include the Creed and the Hail Holy Queen. I always wondered about this same question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back