Rosary/St. Louis De Montfort

• Thread starter Thread starter Tonks40
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tonks40

Blessing Everyone!

Has anyone read anything by St. Louis de Montfort - in particular “The Secret of the Rosary?”
I’ve had this particular book in my possession for a number of years, but just recently picked it up to read it, hoping that it would help me in my daily rosary.

Most of the book was pretty good, until I got near the end, where he lays out pretty specifically the ways you should always say the Rosary, with purity of intention, with attention, ignoring or fighting distractions, with reverence, and with various good methods. After reading this, I got really bummed, because I try and fit the Rosary as part of my daily prayer life, but I’m either doing it in bed, or in the car, or at work, when I can fit in the time.

Am I doing anything wrong? I got kinda discouraged, at one point I missed praying the Rosary for a couple of days. I felt that the ones I were doing were so poorly done, that they “didn’t count” if you know what I mean. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

Tonks40

40.png
Tonks40:
Blessing Everyone!

Has anyone read anything by St. Louis de Montfort - in particular “The Secret of the Rosary?”
I’ve had this particular book in my possession for a number of years, but just recently picked it up to read it, hoping that it would help me in my daily rosary.

Most of the book was pretty good, until I got near the end, where he lays out pretty specifically the ways you should always say the Rosary, with purity of intention, with attention, ignoring or fighting distractions, with reverence, and with various good methods. After reading this, I got really bummed, because I try and fit the Rosary as part of my daily prayer life, but I’m either doing it in bed, or in the car, or at work, when I can fit in the time.

Am I doing anything wrong? I got kinda discouraged, at one point I missed praying the Rosary for a couple of days. I felt that the ones I were doing were so poorly done, that they “didn’t count” if you know what I mean. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated!

Tonks40
Ardity in prayer is a grace. If your doing the best you can, and sticking with it…you are doing ok. Many of the Saints went through the same thing. Don’t be discouraged…it is growth even though it seems like you are not doing well. Hang in there.

Hi Tonks40. Your post has kind of confirmed something for me. I have been undertaking the preparations for Total Consecration to the BVM by Saint Louis Marie de Montfort which you can find in his True devotion to the Blessed Virgin .

I have really struggled with some of the exercises. Each phase requires certain sets of prayers and litanies to be said and with each phase the prayers and the litanies get longer. To be frank with the last phase prior to the actual consecration (on 15 August - Assumption of BVM) these prayers are just driving me to distraction and I can’t wait to finish.

I guess I am no saint and that, I think, is the problem! His standards are, well, high and Saintly.

40.png
Tonks40:
After reading this, I got really bummed, because I try and fit the Rosary as part of my daily prayer life, but I’m either doing it in bed, or in the car, or at work, when I can fit in the time.
Do it! Again and again and again!
Am I doing anything wrong?
NO!
I felt that the ones I were doing were so poorly done, that they “didn’t count” if you know what I mean. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.
Tonks40
No sincere prayer doesn’t count, ever.

Prayer is for us to commune with God. We are to pray unceasingly, and that’s how it is done, you are practicing a certain mindfulness. Plus, the words do not matter as much as the sentiment in your heart.

I might suggest that if these Montfortian exercises are not working out for you, to try praying the Psalms instead, or the Jesus Prayer. Tuck these prayers into your workday, when you rest and between chores, anytime you have available. Repeat as often as you wish.

40.png
Hesychios:
I might suggest that if these Montfortian exercises are not working out for you, to try praying the Psalms instead, or the Jesus Prayer. Tuck these prayers into your workday, when you rest and between chores, anytime you have available. Repeat as often as you wish.
Thank you, Hesychios and others. Your words of encouragement and support are wonderful! I continue to pray the Rosary and am thankful for this wonderful gift Our Mother has given us. I’ll definately use the Jesus Prayer!

Another question in regards to the Rosary: has anyone heard of The Rosary Center ? Can anyone tell me anything about it? I’ve looked at the site, and it looks pretty good. Has anyone obtained any of the books/resources that they offer?

Thanks in advance!

:blessyou:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back