Rosary

• Thread starter Thread starter Lizbert
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lizbert

If you buy a rosary is it already blessed or do you need to take it to your local priest and have it blessed?

Depending on where you got it, it may already be blessed, but this is not necessarily true. If you’re not sure, then it’s best to bring it to your priest. 🙂

Crazy Internet Junkies Society**
**Carrier of the Angelic Sparkles Sprinkle Bag

My understanding is that you can not buy blessed items. If an item was blessed and you pay money for it, it loses it’s blessing. On the other hand, if it is given to you as a gift and it was blessed, then the blessing carries over.

It is for this reason why many shrines have a “blessing” table right AFTER the cash register.

How do you get a rosary blessed? What exactly happens and does it take long? I’ve never had mine blessed, so is it something I can just have done after mass sometime?

40.png
Jabronie:
How do you get a rosary blessed? What exactly happens and does it take long? I’ve never had mine blessed, so is it something I can just have done after mass sometime?
The priest says a special prayer of blessing over it – just takes a minute or two, so after Mass should be fine. I had my Crown Rosary blessed after daily Mass. 🙂

Crazy Internet Junkies Society**
**Carrier of the Angelic Sparkles Sprinkle Bag

Sir Knight:
My understanding is that you can not buy blessed items. If an item was blessed and you pay money for it, it loses it’s blessing. On the other hand, if it is given to you as a gift and it was blessed, then the blessing carries over.

It is for this reason why many shrines have a “blessing” table right AFTER the cash register.
I agree with you. You cannot buy or sell any blessed item. That’s called Simony and is a mortal sin against the First Commandment.

I know that it’s a sin but how is it a sin against the first commandment? Not disagreeing with you – just looking to understand further.

Sir Knight:
I know that it’s a sin but how is it a sin against the first commandment? Not disagreeing with you – just looking to understand further.
Some of the more theologically knowledgeable posters can likely give you the proper reason. It goes back to Simon of Samaria who was converted by the Apostles but his conversion was false because he only wanted the “supernatural” powers of the Apostles (like healing, for example). He tried to buy these powers from them. I suppose it could be argued he wanted to be God-like in terms of powers.

If you want a good guide to the various mortal sins against the 10 Commandments go to website:

www.catholic.org/frz/examen/mortal_main.htm

Yikes! I think I might have done something bad here. A couple of years ago at a garage sale I bought something that I can only describe as a “host maker”. The people said it was from an old church that was being demolished. Its a hand press that makes different sizes of hosts with a variety of imprints. I bought it because it just didn’t seem right that it should be at a garage sale. Is this a blessed item and did I do a booboo here by purchasing it? If so, what do I do now?

Sir Knight - There is a discussion on simony in #2118 and #2121 of the Catechism. It is part of the Article on the First Commandment; #2083 - #2141. AHF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back