Sacred Heart of Jesus

• Thread starter Thread starter dominicsavio
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dominicsavio

peace be with you! i love devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. Jesus is so full of mercy and love and desires that people come to Him with great trust and love. the Sacred Heart of Jesus is a much loved devotion by many Catholics and i think that some on these boards would like to grow in this devotion. for those who don’t know much about it…here is a very short history of how it came about: it came during the 17th century when the Jansenist heresy was in full force. many high ranking officials in the Church were influenced by this heresy and the laity were as well. the Jansenist heresy basically said that one had to be perfect in order to come to God. one French Bishop influenced by the heresy boasted that in his diocese not one person received communion in a year! very few were given absolution. in some churches, pictures of Jesus with an angry face, pointing His finger in anger was placed in front of the tabernacle. people were afraid to come to their Lord and receive Him. you can only imagine how terrible this heresy was. Jesus, who desires to give Himself to people…who desires to pour out His Mercy and Love and that people come to Him in Communion could not give Himself in the sacraments because people were no longer allowed. so what did Jesus do about this?

well, He found a poor little nun by the name of St. Margaret Mary. He would appear to her and tell her about His love for mankind and especially about the love of His Sacred Heart for sinners. listen how He laments to St. Margaret Mary about what was going on:

“There it is, the Heart so deeply in love with men, it spared no means of proof–wearing itself out until it was utterly spent! This meets with scant appreciation from most of them; all I get back is ingratitude–witness their irreverance, their sacrileges, their coldness and contempt for me in this Sacrament of Love.”

here is the account of a famous apparition when He appeared to her from the Blessed Sacrament in her words…

"Jesus Christ, my kind Master, appeared to me. He was a blaze of glory–His five wounds shining like five suns, flames issuing from all parts of His human form, especially from His divine breast which was like a furnace, and which He opened to disclose His utterly affectionate and loveable Heart, the living source of all those flames. It was at this moment that He revealed to me the indescribable wonders of His pure love for mankind: the extravagance to which He’d been led for those who had nothing for Him but ingratitude and indifference. “This hurts me more,” he told me, “than everything I suffered in my passion. Even a little love from them in return–and I should regard all that I have done for them as next to nothing, and look for a way of still doing more. But no; all my eager efforts for their welfare meet with nothing but coldness and dislike. Do me the kindness, then–you, at least—of making up for all their ingratitude, as far as you can.”

Let us do Him this favor, being the one who will offer Him a little love and gratitude in return, for He has done so much out of love for us.

I have had a devotion to the Sacred Heart all of my life. We were taught to say an aspiration to the Sacred Heart if we happened to realise it was on the hour. I still say it if I remember. “May the Sacred Heart of Jesus be everywhere loved. Our Lady of the Sacred Heart, pray for us.”

On the Feast of the Sacred Heart father told us about the Jansenist heresy which gave rise to the devotion to the Sacred Heart. However, Ludwig Ott in Fundamentals of Catholic Dogma (p 159) says " The cult of the Heart of Jesus, which was bitterly assailed by the Jansenists, and which originated in the German mysticism of the Middle Ages has its dogmatic basis in the dogma of the Hypostatic Union." It would appear that the heresy of Jansenism arose because of the devotion to the Sacred Heart, not the other way around.

DominicSavio,

Thanks for bringing “His Sacred Heart” to this forum! Every Catholic home should have this displayed in a prominate place along w/ His Mother in the Immaculate Heart of Mary.
I did a Novena to the Sacred Heart of Jesus for many years…especially in some very trying times…it’s powerful!
God Bless! Annunciata:)

40.png
Annunciata:
Thanks for bringing “His Sacred Heart” to this forum! Every Catholic home should have this displayed in a prominate place along w/ His Mother in the Immaculate Heart of Mary.
I did a Novena to the Sacred Heart of Jesus for many years…especially in some very trying times…it’s powerful!
God Bless! Annunciata:)
I have a large 30" x 18" picture of the Sacred Heart of Jesus right above my computer and next to a same sized Immaculate Heart of Mary (which is above my wife’s computer).

These are two powerful devotions. 🙂

My chapel is named for the Sacred Heart of Jesus. We have a beautiful 60inch by 48 inch poster that is displayed in the chapel when we do Novenas. WHen you pray to the Sacred Heart, you really see a lot of changes in your life. I agree it is a Blessed gift to us all!

T.A.Stobie:
I have a large 30" x 18" picture of the Sacred Heart of Jesus right above my computer and next to a same sized Immaculate Heart of Mary (which is above my wife’s computer).

These are two powerful devotions. 🙂
Amen!
The family that prays together stays together!
My husband and I have them on our screen savers along w/ other holy pictures…the Picture Gallery that keeps replacing the pictures in the screen saver…I’m not sure if every version of Microsoft has it…we have XP and I found out how to do it when visiting relatives for a graduation and they had all the pictures of the graduate from birth till then…it was neet! Thank you! Annunciata:)

peace be with you all! i was so happy to hear that you all share in a great love for the Sacred Heart of Jesus. i really feel that this devotion is absolutely necessary for the Church and it needs to be more known. when i am in adoration, i often feel inspired to think of His words to St. Margaret Mary, “Behold this Heart which loves so much, yet which is so little loved.” or the quote of St. Francis of Assisi, “Love is not loved”. we must offer Him that love. some of the best ways i have learned to offer Him that love is 1.) true devotion to Mary (consecration to Jesus through Mary) 2.)the Act of Offering to Merciful Love (of St. Therese) 3.) living out the spiritual teachings of St. Therese.

St. Faustina, Mother Teresa, Bl. Dina Belanger and many others also lived this spirituality, but Therese is really my favorite of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back