Saint anthonys brief

• Thread starter Thread starter LBNA
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
can you perchance be referring to St Anthony’s Bread? a custom in many Catholic European countries of blessing bread and distributing it to the poor, and also by extension collecting money and other foodstuffs for the poor?

40.png
LBNA:
can anyone explain what this sacramental is and it`s purpose.
Ok along time ago a woman was going to the river, I think it was the Tagus to end her life.
On the way she came to a shrine of Saint Anthonys, she decided to say a last prayer to the Saint.
It went a bit like this, Saint Anthony you may be a big name for those in Italy, but you haven’t done much for your own people of Portugal.
The woman being tired fell asleep, when she awoke, a little piece of cloth was on her person.
It read, " Begone infernal enemies, conquered by the lion of the tribe of Juda.
The root of David has conquered, Alleluia,Alleluia.

All thoughts of sucide left the woman, when the King heard of this little piece of cloth he wanted to see it.
Again the woman felt the urge to kill herself, so the King had another one made for her, as he kept the other one for public view.

Ok,the above recollection is from my own head, not entirely word fro word, but heres a better link.
google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=Saint+Anthony%27s+Brief&spell=1
wtu.edu/franciscan/packs/anthony/brief.html

By the way I have Saint Anthonys Brief on my person, and the words up above are on it, but I’ve seen two different versions of the above prayer.
It would be a good idea to give it to someone with sucidial thoughts.

http://www.splashbulb.com/shared/001/82/137/1085255_7_1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back