Saint Faustina & The Divine Mercy

• Thread starter Thread starter bluedobermans
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bluedobermans

Upon studying the diaries of Saint Faustina; does the church recognize her conversations with Jesus as “the words and teachings of our Lord and Savior?” I find the diaries very, very fascinating and actually “calling me to faith” after many years away.

40.png
bluedobermans:
Upon studying the diaries of Saint Faustina; does the church recognize her conversations with Jesus as “the words and teachings of our Lord and Savior?” I find the diaries very, very fascinating and actually “calling me to faith” after many years away.
If by “the words and teachings of our Lord and Savior?” you mean does the Church teach that these are part of the Deposit of Faith in that one must believe them, then no.

These are part of a private revelation and so being, a catholic is free to believe them or not.

I for one do.

Before St Faustina was named Blessed, Pope JPII went to scholars in Rome and asked them to go over her diary and writings to see if there were in line with the teachings of the Church. Faustina was born and raised in the same “province” as Pope JPII and St. Max Kolbe. (Ocean of Mercy tape)
After several years of study, the findings were, there was nothing in her diary, writings and revelations that were against the Church’s teaching. By this the devotion of Divine Mercy had grown over in Europe and many people had attributed miraculous healings to St. Faustina. So the devotion of Divine Mercy was approved by the Vatican.

Sid

I have no problem putting the same amount of belief in Church recognized private revelation as I do Scripture.

I should be getting Faustina The Movie from Netflix in a few days. 🙂

40.png
bluedobermans:
Not only does the Church recognize The revelations of Saint Faustina and her Diary(such a beutiful and powerful devotion) but the main devotee and promoter is: another person from Poland: Pope John Paul II. He canonized Saint Faustina, and he opened her cause when he was bishop of Poland. The Sacred Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith has approved fully all the Diary. The Feast of Divine Mercy is not as some may say: “just a private devotion”, it is anything but private and the Feast day is NOW officially in the Liturgical Calender(a Must, it is not optional that day for a priest tpo just put it to the side and not say a word on the Divine Mercy)of Mother Church: the Second Sunday after Easter Sunday is officially no longer the second Sunday of Easter, but rather, Divine Mercy Sunday; by order of the Congregation of Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, and final approval of the Supreme Pontif: Pope John Paul II.

40.png
ByzCath:
If by “the words and teachings of our Lord and Savior?” you mean does the Church teach that these are part of the Deposit of Faith in that one must believe them, then no.

These are part of a private revelation and so being, a catholic is free to believe them or not.

I for one do.
wait wait wait, uhnuh , before you dismiss it as “just a private devotion” the Divine Mercy is not just a type of devotion as devotion to for example St. Christopher would be. No, no, this devotion is not only the focal point of two religious orders: the Marian Fathers of Stockbridge, Mass. But also of the Nuns of Mercy of Poland(St. Faustina’s own congregation) Furthermore, BY ORDER of The Congregation For Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, and the POPE, the former “second Sunday” of Easter is no longer, hence it is to be(not an option) called in all Masses, Liturgies etc. DIVINE MERCY SUNDAY.
One must be very careful to easily dismiss EVERYTHING nowadays(seems to be in style here with many catholics in the USA) as, “uh, well throw it away, it is JUST a private devotion” type of theological mishap.
Blessings.

A few weeks ago, we saw a one-woman “play” about Sister Faustina.

It was done at the St. Stanislaus Kostva Church in our city, which was really cool, since that church has lots of Polish families and still offers a Mass in Polish. Also, the church has a “Divine Mercy” shrine and makes a big deal out of the Divine Mercy Sunday.

The actress was Nancy Scimone, who apparently does stuff on EWTN. She has a lovely singing voice, and the play was so very good. The script for the play is derived solely from “Divine Mercy in my Soul, The Diary of Sister M. Faustina Kowalska.”

Even the children in the audience at the church sat quietly and listened with wide eyes as Ms. Scimone presented the life of Sister Faustina in monologue and song. Before she did the play, she led the congregation in the Divine Mercy Chaplet, and she sang the leads. (whatever they are called.)

I highly recommend this. You can contact Ms. Scimone at
music@nancyscimone.com or (703) 913-7559

Misericordie…Thank you for the blessing of your statement on “the Divine Mercy” devotion and it’s relation to Divine Mercy Sunday. Yes, we must be careful about serious spiritual matters. God bless you,…Patristic

40.png
misericordie:
Furthermore, BY ORDER of The Congregation For Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, and the POPE, the former “second Sunday” of Easter is no longer, hence it is to be(not an option) called in all Masses, Liturgies etc. DIVINE MERCY SUNDAY.
It is nice to note that before this order, the second Sunday of Easter had a focus on God’s love and mercy towards us. The readings did not change. The big change is changing its name and focusing more towards mercy.

St. Faustina and the Chaplet of Divine Mercy are merely reminders of what has always been true. Divine mercy awaits those who are truly repentent of their sins; divine justice awaits those who are not.

Maybe it has always been true, but seems to have been forgotton and this great PONTIFICALLY approved PUBLIC devotion reminds us of that. If only all woould read her SAINT Faustina’s Diary.

I do not know why you started this thread, for debate or support, but I know that I love the Chaplet of Divine Mercy.

True, no private devotion (including the rosary) is required of us. But the Holy Father did canonize St. Faustina as the first saint of the new millineum and make the second Sunday of Easter, Divine Mercy Sunday. Except for the rosary, I can think of no greater endorsement from Rome.

I started devotion to the Chaplet of Divine Mercy in my parish and hope it will grow.

I love St. Faustina very much I’m almost finished reading her diary and it has blessed greatly I’ve even taken her as my personal Patron Saint.

I feel blessed to have found St. Faustina and the Divine Mercy Chaplet. I am devoted now! I also have a huge picture of Divine Mercy Jesus (with the blue and red rays streamming from his wound) in my house.

I use this picture as my focal point when I pray. I can visualize Jesus standing in front of me with such awesome merciful eyes!

40.png
jrabs:
I feel blessed to have found St. Faustina and the Divine Mercy Chaplet. I am devoted now! I also have a huge picture of Divine Mercy Jesus (with the blue and red rays streamming from his wound) in my house.

I use this picture as my focal point when I pray. I can visualize Jesus standing in front of me with such awesome merciful eyes!
Praise God!!
Do you know I have met many catholics, both liberal and “orthodox” who critisize this devotion, and even some priests again both liberal AND orthodox too who do the same? Oh well, hypocrites and those who disobey the Pope and the Holy See are in both camps.

Thanks Misericordi.

I have set my cell phone alarm to ring at 3:00 daily and use this as my reminder.

But I have to tell you, the devil does play games with my thoughts here with this devotion in particular. The Chaplet of Divine Mercy takes me about 5 min to say. Sometimes I get a thought in my head, “it’s only a real quick prayer, how can that do much good? Saying every day, what’s the point. Don’t worry if you miss a day.”

That kind of stuff. It is a battle - and the devil plays dirty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back