Sanctifying Halloween

• Thread starter Thread starter Fidelis
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fidelis

“We have entered the 21st century. It is getting harder to be “in” the world but not “of” the world. How are we to explain to our children that what is now the top money-making “holiday” of the year after Christmas is not a truly Christian holiday? We have an onslaught of Halloween witches, ghosts, goblins, vampires, etc. everywhere we turn. How do we bring a message to our children to say that being a Christian does not mean that we cannot have fun? How do we convey that that we must not constantly be negative and condemn everything?..”
To see the entire article, go to Catholic Educator’s Resource at

catholiceducation.org/articl…ans/lp0090.html

I don’t know, but in a strictly secular sense I am sure getting tired of ADULTS getting so caught up in this every year. I’m 55 and Holloween was not a big deal to grownups until, when, the 1980s? Now, it seems like everyone wants to act out some fantasy of monsters, cross-dressers, coming out as a 'ho and whatnot, and hassling me about not dressing up myself. What is going on with people? Kids under 12, sure. But why is everyone else so hung up on this ritual? Is this yet another lousy quasi-religion?

THAT said, it did occur to me this year to dress as a nun and go around to the bars and seriously try to convert people. Wouldn’t that be freaky! 🙂 (Would it be sacrilege?)

I like the ideas presented in the article, but note that the link posted does not work. Here is another link with the same article:

I like the idea of turning it more into a celebration of All Saints day and All Souls day.

I did not grow up in the USA, so Halloween is of no great importance to me. I asked my husband of how much importance is this holiday in the USA and we are trying to come up with ideas that respect both cultures.

Some of my concerns about halloween are on how many prayers and graces are not being given to the souls in purgatory because we focus instead on the secular? Also, this year it is estimated that 3.12 billion dollars will be spent on halloween candy and decorations. Why can’t we use that money to provide food for children that are hungry instead of giving candy to kids that don’t need it? (for example, the food bank in our city can provide 5 meals for 1.00 dollar)

So now we have an altar at home set up for Dia de los Muertos (all Souls day) and we are saying a novena for the Holy Souls. We are also buying some healty snacks to give to the kids that come to our door (we’ll probably be the most unpopular house in the neighboorhood! 🙂 ).

40.png
RosaLydia:
I like the idea of turning it more into a celebration of All Saints day and All Souls day.
Hi,

The homeschoolers in my parish (about 25-30 families) are doing an All Saints Day fair at our parish hall. We will start with a rosary and litany of the saints, and then have a potluck with games afterward, with lots of candy as prizes. The kids will dress as their favorite saints. There will be a pumpkin-carving contest, but it too will be saints rather than scary faces.

This will be the first year we have done this. An Evangelical school has a fall Harvest Festival every year as an alternative, that I believe has been a success.

Peace,

Jim

40.png
RosaLydia:
I
It IS a celebration of the saints in heaven and the souls in purgatory and their witness to Christs’ victory over sin and death. We don’t have to turn it into anything, it is already there, that is its origin. The secular society has turned it into a merchandizing bonanza, as you would expect from a culture that has adopted consumerism as its religion. We do not react, we just go about our business of celebrating the holy days in their original spirit, and refusing to be sucked into the popular culture. Now where is the thread about Christmas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back