Sarah and Abraham

• Thread starter Thread starter workinprogress8
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

workinprogress8

I don’t get the signifigance of why God changed Sarai’s name to Sarah and Abrams name to Abraham. I know it was signifigant, but I just don’t get why it was necessary.

Thanks! 🙂

Well, with Abraham, it was a change of meaning. I believe that it went from “father of many” to “father of nations.” For Sarah, I don’t know. I heard an explanation one time, but that was a long time ago.

work(name removed by moderator)rogress8:
I don’t get the signifigance of why God changed Sarai’s name to Sarah and Abrams name to Abraham. I know it was signifigant, but I just don’t get why it was necessary.

Thanks! 🙂
Here is, the promise made to Abraham of a son by Sarai, that son in whom the promise made to him should be fulfilled, that he should be the father of many nations; for she also shall be a mother of nations, and kings of people shall be of her, Genesis 17:16.

GEN 17:5 NEITHER SHALL THY NAME ANY MORE BE CALLED ABRAM=(high father), BUT THY NAME SHALL BE ABRAHAM=(father of many nations); FOR A FATHER OF MANY NATIONS HAVE I MADE THEE.

GEN 17:15 AND GOD SAID UNTO ABRAHAM, AS FOR SARAI THY WIFE, THOU SHALT NOT CALL HER NAME SARAI=(my princess), BUT SARAH=(a Princess of many) SHALL HER NAME BE.

A part of making a covenant with someone was adding something of the other party’s name to your own. Thus “God” became “God of Abraham” and Abram and Sarai had the “H” from “YHWH” added to their own names (this explanation would be much clearer in Hebrew 😃 ). God later renewed His covenant with Isaac and again with Jacob, thus becoming known as the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back