I recently went to Confession and it was so beautiful because I confessed all the grave sins which I have committed. However since then I have been feeling doubt in the validity of my confession. Could this be Satan trying to tempt me and trying to make me lose my trust and love for God.
Also, are we not supposed to tell people what we confessed in the confessional? No matter under what condition, since the priest said “I absolve you . . .”, that confession is valid, right? Thanks and God bless you!
Sorry if these questions seems kind of silly. I’m just really curious and want to get my soul back on track.
Hi, jon.
I’ll speak from personal experience and observation, here, so for significant advice, your parish priest is always best.
I think you’re dealing with a minor case of
scrupulosity–a behavior where one obsesses too much into the “Ps” and “Qs” of Catholic law and practice over the results of completing said laws and practices to the best of one’s ability. In short, a person who is too scrupulous has a hard time appreciating confession out of fear of doing something wrong (forgetting a sin in confession, for instance).
My fiancee experiences this quite a bit, and it is hard to get her to go to confession.
Remember that Christ’s passion for us not only helped in our salvation, but in our protection from undue influences of Satan. As long as you practice what you know to the best of your ability–from following Lenten rules to avoiding sinful habits, for instance–evil can have no grip on you nor influence you. Satan *is *real, yes, but Hollywood makes him far bigger than he really is, especially against a devout person like yourself.
Don’t let the letter of the Catholic law interfere with the gifts and blessings you always receive by
following the spirit of the Catholic law. God always knows what you want, even if you have problems speaking to a priest about it. Pray about what you worry of after confession (or anytime) with sincerity and contrition and God will help you when you really need it.
As far as confession goes, yes, what is said in confession is generally between you and the Lord (courtesy of the priest). While I don’t think speaking of it to others is harmful, in my opinion, others who hear of it might get the wrong idea about your motivation for talking about it.