Saturday Mass?

• Thread starter Thread starter dizzy_dave
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dizzy_dave

My family always goes to mass on Saturday evening (for Sunday). I recently heard that you were only supposed to go to Mass on Saturday if you could not make it on Sunday. Is this a sin to go every Saturday or are we fulfilling our Sunday obligation. The only time we go on Sunday is Easter.

Saturday evening Mass fulfils your Sunday obligation. However I suggest you should consider going on Sunday. You will have to consider the reason you go on Saturday instead of Sunday.

Biblically speaking, Sunday begins after the sun sets on Saturday not at midnight.

In the United States, any mass that begins 4 pm or later meets your Sunday obligation.

‘You will have to consider the reason you go on Saturday instead of Sunday.’

why is this? i’ve never heard anything about ‘going on sunday’ being better than going on saturday. what’s this all about?

Todd Easton:
Biblically speaking, Sunday begins after the sun sets on Saturday not at midnight.
Exactly, although I think we fudge it a bit with the 4pm cut-off 🙂

This very thing had me confused when I started praying the Liturgy of the Hours, as Sundays and Solemnities have two evening and night (vespers and compline) prayers, with one of each said on “Saturday” night, and none for “Saturday proper”. When one of our priests reminded me of Sunday beginning at nightfall on Saturday, I was pretty embarrased :o LOL.

40.png
digitonomy:
You are legitimately fulfilling your Sunday obligation.
Even if we go EVERY Saturday??? Is that still ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back