Saying Novenas...

• Thread starter Thread starter CSN
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CSN

I am in the process of saying certain Novenas, particularly since the Christmas season is upon us, and I had a question.

I have seen instructions regarding St. Jude Novena, stating that the prayer must be said 9 times over 9 days.

But I have seen other instructions that do not state this.

I would do the 9 times per day, just out of a feeling of propriety, but my question is: for other novenas, are they also to be said 9 times per day? If not, some of they seem quite light. If so, some of them seem quite onerous.

Anyone have any information?

A novena is typically said 1 time per day over 9 days, not 9 times a day.

But, really, a novena can be whatever you want it to be. There’s nothing magical about the number 9 or how you do it. Do whatever you want. It’s the prayer that counts.

I attended a novena at my parish every Wednesday. So, it was an on-going prayer that I liked doing, not just for 9 Wednesdays.

I have a question on a similiar note.

I’ve always heard of novena’s in the context of a rosary, where you say a set of mysteries and a prayer afterwards or before. Is this always the case?

Lady Cygnus:
I have a question on a similiar note.

I’ve always heard of novena’s in the context of a rosary, where you say a set of mysteries and a prayer afterwards or before. Is this always the case?
I think you can really do novenas any way you feel comfortable. Sometimes when praying a rosary for someone the only difference i’ll make is saying, “Pray for Sally now and at the hour of her death,” to include person x’s name and keep my mind focused on the intention. But if that’s the way you learned and are comfortable with, stick with it. When praying, i like to feel like i’m doing something the right way even if there really is no right way. I think it’s a desire to say it perfectly for God. 🙂

40.png
1ke:
A novena is typically said 1 time per day over 9 days, not 9 times a day.

But, really, a novena can be whatever you want it to be. There’s nothing magical about the number 9 or how you do it. Do whatever you want. It’s the prayer that counts.

I attended a novena at my parish every Wednesday. So, it was an on-going prayer that I liked doing, not just for 9 Wednesdays.
“1ke” is right, CSN. Its usually one time per day for the nine days.

Last spring I prayed a nine-day Novena to St. Jude for a few big, very important, yet seemingly impossible prayer needs. I really needed his powerful intercession for these things, and I wanted to be quite sure about my prayers. I decided to follow the instructions on the Novena at St. Jude’s Church which was 15 miles across city traffic from where I was at that time. I decided to commute there each day for nine days to say the prayer there and the driving was a sacrifice. It said nine times and even though i knew there were other St. Jude Novenas that did not say 9 times, I wanted to emphasize to him how much I needed these requests granted as well as put my mind at rest that I had surely asked him and could afterwards just wait for the answer. My prayers were answered in such a way I knew it was miraculous assistance. I am so grateful to St. Jude for it.

Just today I went before his shrine, the same one i prayed at, with anxiety over a matter connected to the previous novena. Then I felt such peace. As if he was telling me, “Don’t worry. You put it in my hands, and I will follow through.”

I have prayed other Novenas, too - St. Joseph, St. Therese (and I got a rose!), Holy Spirit, and of course Our Blessed Mother. I haven’t been Catholic that long but since I have, my rather peaceful life has been shook up and I have had many occasions for praying Novenas for urgent impossible needs. Choosing a new patron/intercessor for my needs as they come has been a beautiful way of adding to my list of special heavenly friends close to my heart.

40.png
dafalax:
I think you can really do novenas any way you feel comfortable. Sometimes when praying a rosary for someone the only difference i’ll make is saying, “Pray for Sally now and at the hour of her death,” to include person x’s name and keep my mind focused on the intention. But if that’s the way you learned and are comfortable with, stick with it. When praying, i like to feel like i’m doing something the right way even if there really is no right way. I think it’s a desire to say it perfectly for God. 🙂
Thanks, this helps 🙂

Another question, do you guys think it would be ok to do an introductory novena? Like, “Hi St Therese, I really don’t have anything I need, I just wanted to say hi.”

Ok, so I’d kinda like to get a rose… :o

Lady Cygnus:
Thanks, this helps 🙂

Another question, do you guys think it would be ok to do an introductory novena? Like, “Hi St Therese, I really don’t have anything I need, I just wanted to say hi.”

Yes, it would be neat! But then again, why waste the prayers? St. Therese would be pleased if you wold pray for one of the things close to her heart, like salvation of souls - or a particular soul. Or just a prayer request of anyone you know that needs something. You could give them the rose (if you can part with it! maybe after you enjoyed it for a day! I saved my petals.) I’m sure you will think of something, but what about your Priest?

Lady Cygnus:
…Another question, do you guys think it would be ok to do an introductory novena? Like, “Hi St Therese, I really don’t have anything I need, I just wanted to say hi.”…
You could pray for “scared” who wrote the post in the thread, “Leaving God and maybe the Church” in this forum. When people are hurting really bad they need others to hold them up. You could pray that St. Theresa hold her up, and that she also has someone near her who can be Christ to her.

40.png
Eliza10:
You could pray for “scared” who wrote the post in the thread, “Leaving God and maybe the Church” in this forum. When people are hurting really bad they need others to hold them up. You could pray that St. Theresa hold her up, and that she also has someone near her who can be Christ to her.
This is a good idea, I’ll do this instead. 🙂

Lady Cygnus:
Thanks, this helps 🙂

be watchful that you don’t approach this as if somehow it was magic, or that you somehow could bind God…

40.png
otm:
be watchful that you don’t approach this as if somehow it was magic, or that you somehow could bind God…
My post does sound that way doesn’t it? I know it isn’t magic. I really want a rose, but I don’t need one, so I know I probably won’t get one. It doesn’t invalidate the prayer if I don’t get one.

We pray for what we need and God always answers, it’s just very often the answer is ‘no’.

I have a small book called “30 Favorite Novenas” from TAN. All the novenas are said for 9 days except the “Novena in Urgent Need to the Infand Jesus of Prague” which can be said for 9 consecutive hours or 9 days.

Gearoidin

Lady Cygnus:
My post does sound that way doesn’t it? I know it isn’t magic. I really want a rose, but I don’t need one, so I know I probably won’t get one. It doesn’t invalidate the prayer if I don’t get one.

We pray for what we need and God always answers, it’s just very often the answer is ‘no’.
I didn’t think you sounded like you thought it was magic. Its just one of those little special and precious gifts of the Church, and you want it. To want a gift is very human! St. Therese would understand that and be pleased to accomodate you, and show you, she really is there, and really wants to advocate for you in prayer.

When you get the gift it strengthens your faith. You have more faith, more to give. I think she would appreciate your praying the prayer in faith that she will hear and answer, and that you will receive the promised rose.

If you read about St. Theresa you might remember how when she was little, her sister was getting rid of her old dolls/ doll clothes, and asked her which one she wanted. Therese poundered this for awhile, and then answered, “I want all of them!”. It became a sort of theme in her life, so that when she couldn’t decide what her vocation/mission should be, she finally realized it should be “love”, because love would encompass all of them!

Lady Cygnus:

I do not mean to sound harsh. Most of us want a sign; but I am not sure that the wanting is always from the most pure of motives.

We also want answers; but many of us, if not most, do not necessarily want to hear the answers we are given; many of us can’t even recognize that an answer has been given, and it is all too easy to slip into some habits that are not what the Church would have for us.

Not as a reflection on you, but I have seen way too many email chain prayers, and way too many St Jude fliers that seem to promise “if you just do this…”. I tend to be a bit sensitive about the whole issue of novenas.

Yes, it’s important to have balance, which is the key to so many things in life. The balance between confidence and cockiness. The balance between pity and condescension. The balance between love and lust.

For sure, the novenas are not like slot machines that you yank at whim.

However, while they can be criticized as superstition or voodoo, I always think about the old woman in Mark 5:25 who was convinced that her sickness would be cured, if only she could touch Jesus’ robe. Maybe faith in the novenas works the same way.

Perhaps a blind, almost child-like faith in something, and the simple joy in knowing it works, is praiseworthy in a way…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back