Me too. That’s why I reinforce mine and replace the strings with cloth ribbon. I have one that I’ve been using for over 15 years so far. The embroidered images have all faded off, though.
That sounds like a good call. Even embroidered images will wear, yes, even if in plastic.
I was thinking that if one bought three of them and reinforced them with fabric glue, or some such thing… hmm… But the fabric glue might not work on the straps and leave them limp…
OTOH it might make a good seal for any embroidery at least on the scapular itself.
Well it’s a craft project to puzzle it out. I wish some enterprising nuns would take it up and start a ‘durable scapular’ sideline.
There aren’t many variations on the main scapulars out there on the net, at least that are simple to find. Oh you’ll find a lot of brown with different paper images sewn on that wear out in a few days, but in regards to durability they are pretty much the same.
If they were a little larger, so that they stayed in place and were more durable I would not mind, but I do not know what the specifications are, and if they limit the size, how precise, etc. for each. The preferred material is wool, which I of course prefer too, but I think that the specifications have loosened even allow for else. Right now there seems to be a standard size and that is it, but whether that is the specifications talking I do not know.
The orders set the standards of course.
If there’s enough leeway, a slightly larger and thicker scapular, with stronger cording would be much appreciated by many I am sure.
The weak way some sacramentals are made nowadays is rather troublesome actually.