Scapular Metals

• Thread starter Thread starter WanderAimlessly
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WanderAimlessly

For some time, I have been thinking of getting a Brown Scapular. However, certain fabrics (wool and leather) have a tendacy to disintegrate when I wear them.

I have been looking into Scapular Metals and am wondering if there is one for the Brown Scapular (I know other scapulars have them). Also, my preference in the metal would be silver.

PF

The Brown Scapular medal is available in oxidized base metal, for sure – I use them on my bookmarks. I would suppose that it would be very possible that they come in Sterling silver.

www.automcatholic.com has the oxidozed ones for cheap – 50 for 5.00 or something like that. You do have to buy 50 of them in oxidized. Jewelry in the better metals doesn’t require quantity pricing.

Wish I could help you more.

I’ve only heard recently about Scapulars, and I want to wear one. Are they cloth? And metals are okay to wear?

I wear a 14k gold Scapular you can purchase it on-line at EWTN catalogue.🙂

40.png
Mamamull:
The Brown Scapular medal is available in oxidized base metal, for sure – I use them on my bookmarks. I would suppose that it would be very possible that they come in Sterling silver.

www.automcatholic.com has the oxidozed ones for cheap – 50 for 5.00 or something like that. You do have to buy 50 of them in oxidized. Jewelry in the better metals doesn’t require quantity pricing.

Wish I could help you more.
Mamamull:

Just knowing they are available is metal is a help. The metal is not that important other than I prefer silver over gold.

I may walk down to the Catholic Bookstore at lunch time tomorrow to see if they have a Brown Scapular Metal. If not, I wil check with the parish I have been attending (it is ran by the Passionists) and some online sites (including the one above).

PF

40.png
WanderAimlessly:
Mamamull:

Just knowing they are available is metal is a help. The metal is not that important other than I prefer silver over gold.

I may walk down to the Catholic Bookstore at lunch time tomorrow to see if they have a Brown Scapular Metal. If not, I wil check with the parish I have been attending (it is ran by the Passionists) and some online sites (including the one above).

PF
I wear a 14k gold one and as I said before in my previous post you can purchase it on-line at EWTN catalogue.🙂

I wear both. The cloth one is nice and provides a means for irritation and penance, yet the medal seems to last longer. Good luck finding them… look on the abbey press site!

God Bless–JMJ
Laura 🙂

Just so you know, the metals do not carry the same full spiritual graces with them as do the cloth ones. Note the following …
In 1910 Pope Pius X declared that the cloth Scapular, after enrollment, could be replaced by a medal which has on one side an image of Our Lady - this exception to be used only in torrid zones among natives. He then said: “I believe in the Scapular vision I desire most vehemently that the cloth be worn as heretofore.”
Benedict XV, so anxious and determined to make it very clear to all that the medal was positively never meant to replace the brown cloth Scapular (except in extreme cases) declared on July 8, 1916: "‘In order that one may see that it is Our desire that the Brown Scapular be worn we concede to it a grace the Scapular Medal shall not enjoy.’

I was told by several priests that there is no difference in wearing the cloth scapular and the medal scapular. I wear the medal scapular with the Sacred Heart of Jesus in the front of the medal and Our Lady of Mount Carmel on the back. I am sure Our Lady will not hold it against me if the Priest guided me wrong, as I am wearing it in good faith.

It is more important to be in the State of Grace and receive the Sacraments often, not what kind of scapular you wear… God bless

40.png
JKCairns:
… It is more important to be in the State of Grace and receive the Sacraments often, not what kind of scapular you wear… God bless
This is true. All I’m saying is that certain things have different graces associated with them than other things. If you go to communion and the host that you receive was not properly concentrated, you do not PHYSICALLY receive the body of Christ even if you think that you do. He MAY come into your heart SPIRITUALLY but He does not come into your body PHYSICALLY. The same with the scapular – the cloth one has ADDITIONAL graces associated with it that the metal one doesn’t.

From Pope Pius X’s decree:
For the future all the faithful already inscribed or who shall be inscribed in one or other of the real Scapulars approved by the Holy See (excepting those which are proper to the Third Orders) by what is known as regular enrollment may, instead of the cloth scapulars, one or several, wear on their persons, either round the neck or otherwise, provided it be in a becoming manner, a single medal of metal, through which, by the observance of laws laid down for each scapular, they shall be enabled to share in and gain **all the spiritual favours ** (not excepting what is known as the Sabbatine Privilege of the Scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel), and all the privileges attached to each.
and from a later Carmelite document
For any reason, even simple convenience, the faithful invested in any Scapular except that of the Third Orders, may substitute a Scapular Medal which need only be carried on the person. The Medal was not intended as a new form of the Scapular devotion, but only as an aid to its continual practice. Catholics should be instructed to make free and wise use of both Scapular and Medal according to their judgment and circumstances. The permission for the Medal reflects the mind of the Church that the Scapular itself is only the exterior sign of an interior devotion.
full text

Of more interest than wool vs. metal is the additional requirements that the wearer 1) observe chasity according to thier state, 2) recite the Little Office of the BVM, 3) abstain from meat on Wednesdays and Saturdays if one does not know the Little Office. The recitation of the Little Office can also be changed, by a confessor, to another prayer of good work.

The Leaflet Missal Company has a very nice on-line catalog including scapular and 4-way medals of various metals, including sterling silver. Check here

For any reason, even simple convenience, the faithful invested in any Scapular except that of the Third Orders,
The word “except” would imply that third orders must wear the cloth. Would it not? Why is this the case?

Peace,
Jen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back