Scapular Tattoo

• Thread starter Thread starter Adam21
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Adam21

Would getting a scapular tattoo give you the same benefits as wearing one?

I don’t think the Blessed Virgin would approve of a scapular tattoo.

You can start a tattoo thread if you want to get people going. 😃

Most Catholics, here, I would venture to say, are not in favor of tattoos. There is some biblical foundation for this negative view of tattoos.

Mary specified a piece of cloth worn around the neck but not a tattoo.

Last edited:
Hmm, I’ve heard it be argued both ways. I have tattoos, but I see your point.

I have nothing against religious tattoos. I just don’t think a tattoo of a scapular is the same as wearing an actual one.

I doubt it as it would be nothing more than a mere image of a scapular and not the real thing.

Manual of Indulgences (fourth edition, 2005, USCCB) p. 16:
N15. The faithful can acquire an indulgence if they use devoutly one of the following properly blessed pious objects, namely: a crucifix or cross, rosary, scapular, or medal.

it seems to me that wearing an actual scapular requires conscious decision making to put it on every day or never take it off. Getting a tattoo only requires a one time decision and could be never thought of again and would therefor not be the same as wearing one.

The scapular is supposed to be a garment, like a shirt. Would you tattoo a shirt on your body and wear it to the office? Yeah, I didn’t think so.

I have nothing against religious tattoos, I like a lot of them, but you’re trying to use a tattoo as a substitute for something that is meant to be a physical sacramental object. It doesn’t work.

I wouldn’t tattoo a Miraculous Medal on my chest and say it was the same as wearing one, either.

Last edited:
No.

In its essence, a scapular is a garment and a very specific garment. It is a miniature version of the habit of a Religious.

I remember a discussion high school about this. .Don’t remember whether it was the priest at the time that remarked “yes you can wear a scapular and yes when you die with it on you will go to heaven… but what is to say that you will not have a epileptic fit and rip it off just before your death…” or after working on a code team in the Er having the nurses remove it while coding you…
At any rate tattooing it would defeat the purpose of the continual prayerful effort it takes to put it on and off each day.

Tats will fade with time too and will end up looking like a blob of ink.

If the purpose is to remind you of your faith, I think it might work.
That’s assuming you look in the mirror daily. If you don’t look in the mirror then the thing hanging around your neck will be more of a reminder than a tatt you rarely see.

Last edited:
I’m sure someone said the same thing when the first person decided that a piece of cloth on a string was equivalent to the actual garment. “It’s a garment, not a cloth on a string!” Also how do you know I wouldn’t wear a tattooed shirt to the office?

I do like your Miraculous Medal idea, maybe I’ll get that one next.

I always tended to be of the opinion that common sense applied here. God’s not out to play gotcha games with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back