Scapular

• Thread starter Thread starter Sorbetto
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Sorbetto

Okay, I have a few questions concerning a scapular.

I was unaware that scapulars existed, or what they meant, until I read about them in the “What do you wear around your neck?” thread. I’m planning on converting to Catholicism as soon as I can (next fall), and since then practice as fully as I can, without yet being baptized into the Church. I feel that wearing a scapular might be particularly appropriate for me…I felt a tug when I began reading about them. As I am going through a process of asking God’s forgiveness and coming to terms with forgiving myself for a life of sin unawares of the Truth, and becoming so strong in my faith, I have experienced many nightmares and some strange phenomena. I say the rosary before bed and keep a blessed candle at my bedside. I feel the need for this protection. I feel a scapular would not only aid me there, but would allow me to grow even closer to devotion and search for Truth in the Blessed Mother, and remind me of the woman I should try to become every day when I am struggling to forgive and forget past sins. Would anyone then, also recommend for someone who is not yet Catholic, to wear a scapular…particularly in my case, I mean?

So my last question is, when ordering a scapular online, am I supposed to ask a priest at the Church I attend to bless it…? I was reading this ewtn.com/expert/answers/brown_scapular.htm and am a bit unsure as to what I should do once I receive my scapular, before I wear it, etc.

I guess I’m looking for a “scapulars for dummies” type of answer/explanation.

Thanks so much 🙂

My understanding is there is nothing at all wrong with you wearing a scapular, however, you can’t be enrolled into the scapular until becoming Catholic. You can learn more about being enrolled from the information that will come with your scapular.

Wearing a scapular and getting the full benefits of the scapular are two different things. Even after becomming Catholic, a person must be properly enrolled by a priest who has the authority to do so.

Depends on the Scapular. My understanding is that a non-Catholic may wear the Brown Scapular.

The best thing to do is check with the order in charge (in a manner of speaking) of them. The Carmelites are the Brown
The Servites are the Black. Marians the Blue, etc.

Scott

I agree. Anyone can wear a scapular. But to get the full benefits you must be Catholic and get enrolled. So go ahead and wear it.
With regards coming to terms with your past life etc. If you have’nt already try to make an act of perfect contrition. Link below on how to. St Margaret Mary, when she started receiving the revelations from our Lord on the Sacred Heart devotion, told her confessor (priest). He, to check the authenticity, asked her to ask our Lord what his last mortal sin was next time He appeared to her. She did. And when she next saw the priest he inquired of it. And she said that our Lord said , " I don’t remember".
Once God forgives your sins he forgets them, too. So you should not dwell on them. It can only be harmful for you to do so. You should only bring them to mind for the purpose of a confession to a priest, spiritual direction or other serious reasons like this.
There is a quote from the good book I like. As follows-
Prophecy Of Isaias
< prev | Chapter 1 | next >
18 And then come, and accuse me, saith the Lord: if your sins be as scarlet, they shall be made as white as snow: and if they be red as crimson, they shall be white as wool.

Act of perfect contrition link- catholicfirst.com/thefaith/prayers/perfectactcontrition.cfm
God bless you. And welcome to the Church, in advance.
Happy Easter to all. In advance.

It is also good to get several sources on the benefits. There are bogus claims made about certain scapulars. One site said the blue scap carried something like 497 plenary indulgences per day with it!

Scott

Scott Waddell:
It is also good to get several sources on the benefits. There are bogus claims made about certain scapulars. One site said the blue scap carried something like 497 plenary indulgences per day with it!
I am unaware of any Scapular that carries 497 plenary indulgences per day. The Five-Fold Scapular carries 433 plenary indulgences per day. Since a person may receive only one plenary indulgence per day, a person may keep one plenary indulgence for themselves and offer the remaining 432 plenary indulgences for departed souls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back