Scapular

• Thread starter Thread starter Hudsonite
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hudsonite

I wear the brown scapular. Somebody had asked what a scapular is so I’ll explain in a minute.
My questions is this:
I understood that Pope John XXII had a vision in that whoever wears the scapular , it promises that the qualified wearer would be delivered from purgatory the Saturday after death. I just heard that these documents were judged to be doubtful. :eek:
What do you know about it?

What is the scapular?
Originally it was a frock like working habit of the Benedictines. It has been midified to two small double squared of wool cloth suspended by two strings that are worn around the neck as part of a devotion.
Besides the brown scapular there is also a red, black, blue, white and green.
Red-Christs Passion
Black-seven sorrows of Mary
Blue-Immaculate Conception
White- Holy Trinity
Green- is more of a healing cloth and of bringing people back to the faith.
St. Simon Stock had asked Mary to grant his order a special privelege. Our Lady appeared to him with a brown scapular in her hand saying “Here is the priveledge I grant to you and to all children of Carmel. Whoever dies clothed in this habit will be forever saved” Just to wear the scapular is not enough, one must also be “inducted” to the Carmelite order. Which any priest can do for you.

40.png
Hudsonite:

I understood that Pope John XXII had a vision in that whoever wears the scapular , it promises that the qualified wearer would be delivered from purgatory the Saturday after death. I just heard that these documents were judged to be doubtful. :eek:
What do you know about it? …
I know that TIME in the afterlife is relative. There is the story of a very pious monk who became seriously ill. God, through his guardian angel made him an offer. He could live for one more year offering up his pain & suffering in atonement for his sins and upon his death, he would go straight to heaven or he could die now and spend three days in purgatory. The monk decided that three days of purgatory would be better than one year of the pain which he was presently experiencing and that is the option that he picked.

He died and his guardian angel went to visit him in purgatory and he was extremely angry asking what happened to the agreement? He was suppose to spend only three days there and he had been there for several years already. His guardian angel replied that in reality he had been in purgatory for only one hour and had 71 more hours to go.

I am not sure of your documents but I have heard several wonderful stories on the use of the scapular. One of my favorite goes like this;

A rather loose woman always wore a scapular because she knew the promise, but never gave up her sinful life. One day she got into a car accident and as she was laying in emergency and they were cutting her clothes off of her they noticed the scapular and left it. Minutes later the woman screamed get this off of me it is burning me, she screamed until the nurse cut it off. Once the scapular was removed from her body the woman died.
It sure speaks of the power of the promise of Our Lady.🙂

Dear Hudsonite,

Yes, that particular apparition was judged to be without foundation (a main reason is that John XXII didn’t believe in purgatory) and ever since a decree of January 20, 1613 the Church has asked that the “Sabbatine privilege” notion not be promoted. That prohibition hasn’t really worked…

I’m thinking of possibly starting to wear the Brown Scapular. I know there is some sort of investiture ceremony. How does that work?

40.png
amasimp:
I’m thinking of possibly starting to wear the Brown Scapular. I know there is some sort of investiture ceremony. How does that work?
I just recently was enrolled in Carmel for the brown scapular. Once you have the scapular go to your priest and ask him to enroll you in Carmel. He will say certain prayers aloud and you have a responding prayer and consecration you say after him. Sometimes the brown scapular comes with the enrollment instructions in case your priest doesn’t have them with him when you ask him, and in that case, you can provide them to him and he will take you through it. It only takes a few minutes and it is well worth it! I have been enrolled only two weeks but already I notice a difference in myself wearing it: I am much more aware of my behavior, both in public and in private, and this matters a great deal to me, especially spiritually. I highly recommend this devotion! God bless!

I was just enrolled today, as a matter of fact 😃 Anyhow, I do have some lingering questions that I can’t seem to find good answers to:

One of the conditions is to “wear the scapular continously”. First off, does it always have to be against my skin? I can’t wear it under my shirt, but over an undershirt, correct? Also, are there times when it’s ok not to wear it (while sleeping, etc)?

Another condition is to recite the Little Office" daily. I had the priest who enrolled me to substitute 5 decades of the Rosary, but I would still like to recite the “Little Office”. However, I’m confused about just what exactly is required. Are morning and evening offices sufficient? Do I need to pray all the offices? If so, how would it fit in with the Divine Office (would I then not pray the “Little Office”?).

Sorry if I seem scrupulous here…I’m not trying to be. I just want to make sure I’m doing things correctly.

40.png
mtr01:
I was just enrolled today, as a matter of fact 😃 Anyhow, I do have some lingering questions that I can’t seem to find good answers to:

One of the conditions is to “wear the scapular continously”. First off, does it always have to be against my skin? I can’t wear it under my shirt, but over an undershirt, correct? Also, are there times when it’s ok not to wear it (while sleeping, etc)?
I am a Lay Carmelite and the formation director of my Lay Carmelite community. Here is what I know: You may wear the scapular over or under your clothing, it’s up to you. 🙂 The only time you would not wear it is while bathing or swimming or if you work around machinery that might catch it and hurt you. You may wear the Scapular Medal instead, if you wish.
Another condition is to recite the Little Office" daily. I had the priest who enrolled me to substitute 5 decades of the Rosary, but I would still like to recite the “Little Office”. However, I’m confused about just what exactly is required. Are morning and evening offices sufficient? Do I need to pray all the offices? If so, how would it fit in with the Divine Office (would I then not pray the “Little Office”?).

Sorry if I seem scrupulous here…I’m not trying to be. I just want to make sure I’m doing things correctly.
The Little Office is no longer being promoted or published by the Carmelite Order (the Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary is a part of the Liturgy of the Hours, but is not to be prayed every day any more). Instead, those enrolled are asked to pray Morning and Evening Prayer from the Liturgy of the Hours according to the proper week. You can get a brief version for lay people called: Shorter Christian Prayer. However, if your priest has allowed you to substitute 5 decades of the Rosary, that is fine too. God bless you!

40.png
Della:
I am a Lay Carmelite and the formation director of my Lay Carmelite community. Here is what I know: You may wear the scapular over or under your clothing, it’s up to you. 🙂 The only time you would not wear it is while bathing or swimming or if you work around machinery that might catch it and hurt you. You may wear the Scapular Medal instead, if you wish.

The Little Office is no longer being promoted or published by the Carmelite Order (the Office of the Blessed Virgin Mary is a part of the Liturgy of the Hours, but is not to be prayed every day any more). Instead, those enrolled are asked to pray Morning and Evening Prayer from the Liturgy of the Hours according to the proper week. You can get a brief version for lay people called: Shorter Christian Prayer. However, if your priest has allowed you to substitute 5 decades of the Rosary, that is fine too. God bless you!
Della, thank you so much for your answers. I tried looking this up online, but as is often the case there was a good deal of conflicting information (especially concerning the Little Office). You have put my mind to rest now 🙂 and may God bless you as well!

i was recently given a scapular that was (arguably) blessed by the virgin mary. i was at a service where ivan, from medjugorje, was present. he said that when mary appeared to him, she blessed any objects that were present to be blessed. my friend had a scapular on at the time, and he subsequently gave it to me.

i would like to do the entrance into the carmelite order thing. did you guys say i can just go to my priest and do that?

40.png
jeffreedy789:
i was recently given a scapular that was (arguably) blessed by the virgin mary. i was at a service where ivan, from medjugorje, was present. he said that when mary appeared to him, she blessed any objects that were present to be blessed. my friend had a scapular on at the time, and he subsequently gave it to me.

i would like to do the entrance into the carmelite order thing. did you guys say i can just go to my priest and do that?
The scapular is actually more of a confraternity, you can wear it without joining the lay Carmelite order. Normally, you would be enrolled into the confraternity by a member of the sponsoring order. The Carmelites, however, have given this ability to any priest. There is a rite of blessing and investiture that is performed, and in case your priest doesn’t have it handy, you can get a copy here. I would print it out and bring it with me.

That site also has the conditions you must fulfill in order to wear the scapular as a member of the confraternity. As Della explained to me above, the first condition of reciting the “Little Office” is no longer being promoted by the Carmelites, but instead the Morning and Evening prayers of the Liturgy of the Hours are required. You can also ask the priest for one of the alternates as well. I hope this helps, and God bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back