Scapulars.

• Thread starter Thread starter Moo_Moo
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Moo_Moo

I have to explain to someone what a scapular is. How do I go about that exactly?

It’s a sign and reminder of our duties, our Love of Jesus and Mary, and their love of us.

Thanks, but I was really looking for more details. Like, how the tradition got started, who started it, and where it was started. You know, stuff like that. 🙂

40.png
Moo_Moo:
Thanks, but I was really looking for more details. Like, how the tradition got started, who started it, and where it was started. You know, stuff like that. 🙂
Anyone? :o

Scapulars have a precedence in the Old Testament, as something that reminds us of God, His Commandments and our duty.

Numbers 15:
37 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,

38 Speak unto the children of Israel, and bid them that they make them fringes in the borders of their garments throughout their generations, and that they put upon the fringe of the borders a ribband of blue:

39 And it shall be unto you for a fringe, that ye may look upon it, and remember all the commandments of the LORD, and do them; and that ye seek not after your own heart and your own eyes, after which ye use to go a whoring:

40 That ye may remember, and do all my commandments, and be holy unto your God.

Scapulars originated in the Middle Ages as full-length monastic work aprons. They were meant to help keep the religious habit clean when the monks were at manual labor. When the religious orders began to extend their distinctive spiritualities to lay people, they would frequently offern a symbol of affiliation.

The Brown Scapular, for example, was a sign of affilation with the Carmelite Order. Over time, the size of the “lay scapulars” began to to be reduced. As a Discalced Carmelite Secular (OCDS), I wear a large, ornate ceremonial brown scapular (ca. 8"x8" panels) to my OCDS Community functions, but a small ordinary one for everyday use. I was ritually invested in the large scapular when I was officially received into Formation in the Order. Our nuns and friars, of course, still wear a full-size scapular as an integral part of their religious habit.

Simply put, a small sacramental scapular represents in miniature the religious habit of a particular religious order. The Carmelite Scapular is especially a symbol of prayer, penance, and devotion to our Lady, and of the evangelical counsels of chastity, poverty, and obedience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back