Scapulars

• Thread starter Thread starter slewi
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

slewi

Just a quick question on scapulars. Why are there so many different ones? Do they all carry the same promises of our Lady as the Brown Scapular? Anyone have a favorite? And why?

I saw one for sale at our Guild Store that is five scapulars together. It weighs like two pounds! 🙂

S

Shalom!

You are right, there are numerous scapulars for sale to the laity. Some are for specific devotions or for specific religious groups such as the blue and white and red. The vast majority are the brown scapular of Our Lady of Mt Carmel. These come in all sorts of varieties, the one representing her presentation of it to St Simon Stock probably the oldest and best known. More recently there have been the brown scapulars made with the addition of a favorite saint such as Therese of Lisieux or Maximillian Kolbe. If they are brown, they all carry the blessings of Mt Carmel. If they are not brown, they do not necessarily reflect Our Lady of Mt Carmel. The green scapular for instance is for the Immaculate Heart of Mary. It does get confusing. And these commercially available scapulars are not to be confused with those of various religious houses such as the Carmelite and Benedictine nor Third Order Scapulars!

Slewi… Where did you get that banner on the bottom of your post ?? It’s really cool

Hello Slewi!

I’m sorry but I honestly don’t remember. I read so much and from so many different sources that I can’t recall. I have taken to keeping a journal specifically for such phrases or prayers. Unfortunately, I have forgotten my college ways :eek: and don’t always cite sources. :o

40.png
scapularkid8:
Slewi… Where did you get that banner on the bottom of your post ?? It’s really cool
Thank you, I’m glad you like it. I dabble with photoshop and made it. I made an offer in another thread to make them for people but only 4 people responded. I’ll be happy to make you one if you contact me privately to keep thread drift to a minimum.

S

40.png
slewi:
Just a quick question on scapulars. Why are there so many different ones? Do they all carry the same promises of our Lady as the Brown Scapular? Anyone have a favorite? And why?

I saw one for sale at our Guild Store that is five scapulars together. It weighs like two pounds! 🙂

S
Although I’ve never heard of a 2 pound Scpaular, 😃 there are many for different reasons. The Passion Scapular, The Immaculate Conception Scapular, ext. Different things for different reasons. different devotions I suppose. I wear the Five Fold Scapular. It has the Passion Scapular, the Trinity Scapular, the Carmel Scapular, The Immaculate Conception Scapular, and the Seven Dolores Scapular. All five of what Iam devoted to, and need. 🙂

40.png
Marilena:
I wear the Five Fold Scapular. It has the Passion Scapular, the Trinity Scapular, the Carmel Scapular, The Immaculate Conception Scapular, and the Seven Dolores Scapular. All five of what Iam devoted to, and need. 🙂
That’s the two pounder I was talking about! :yup:

S

40.png
slewi:

S
I wear the Brown Scapular of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel and I consecrate myself and my whole family to her every morning. The Brown Scapular is the mini-habit of the Carmelites, who are devoted to Our Blessed Mother. It is very meaningful to me, and reminds me that she wants to clothe me with her virtues.

I also like to carry several blessed Green Scapulars with me, and give them to someone to put in their home when they tell me they are troubled about a family member. It is a Scapular for physical and mostly spiritual healing, and we are to pray daily for the person saying “Immaculate Heart of Mary, pray for us, now and at the hour of our death. Amen”

I have a daughter who left the Church and I sent her a ceramic lamb for her birthday. There was a place underneath the figurine where I could slip a Green Scapular, and I remember to pray that prayer for her every day.

Many years ago I gave a Green Scapular to my son to put in his van, and shortly after that his van had caught fire and he was able to get out. He attributes it to the intercession of Our Lady, and still has that Green Scapular.

As Catholics we have so many meaningful sacramentals, and they do help us to remember what our duties are, and to pray for others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back