Scripture readings during Mass... cover the entire bible?

  • Thread starter Thread starter squain
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

squain

Guest
I recently heard that the scripture readings during mass are the same across the world each Sunday. I find this truly remarkable…

Does anyone know if the readings are intended to cover the entire Bible eventually, or are they pulled from selected books? If they do cover the entire Bible, how long does it take to get through the entire cycle of reading all the books (years, I presume), or are the readings not really that cyclical?

Basically I’d like to know more about how the readings are chosen, and what system the church uses to choose them each Sunday.

Thank you.
 
I recently heard that the scripture readings during mass are the same across the world each Sunday. I find this truly remarkable…
It’s one more thing I love about the Catholic Church-- knowing we are all contemplating the same readings together. 🙂
Does anyone know if the readings are intended to cover the entire Bible eventually, or are they pulled from selected books? If they do cover the entire Bible, how long does it take to get through the entire cycle of reading all the books (years, I presume), or are the readings not really that cyclical?
Basically I’d like to know more about how the readings are chosen, and what system the church uses to choose them each Sunday.
Thank you.
“Since Vatican II, much more of the New Testament is included in the Lectionary for Mass. The Acts of the Apostles is used as the first reading on the Sundays and weekdays during the Easter season. The Gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke are read semi-continuously on the Sundays of Ordinary Time on a three-year cycle, while passages from the Gospel of John are used mostly during the seasons of Lent and Easter and on several major feast days. Excerpts from all other NT books and letters are used as the second reading at Masses on Sundays and major feasts according to a three-year cycle, and/or weekday Masses on a two-year cycle.”

The link also has information in chart form that shows percentages of each book read.

More here: Lectionary Statistics
 
GraceSophia is correct. We run on a 3 year cycle - A,B, and C. We are in cycle A now. It does include much of the scriptures, but you’ll notice you don’t hear long geneologies - (who begot whom) etc. during the readings from the OT. It is perfectly blended excerpts which the Catholic Church put together a long time ago. The new church year begins at Advent. That’s when the Liturgical schedule changes. During different schedules, you will notice you hear more from one gospel writer throughout the year than others. In our parish, our priest is retired, so he does celebrate the mass and all priestly duties regarding masses, but we have a Parish Life Associate (PLA) or Parish Life Coordinator, who has a Liturgical degree (a Masters’ degree I believe) and she formed a Liturgy committee. A few faithful gather one a month to look at selections approved by the Catholic Church for masses several months in advance, and they offer their insights to her regarding which prayers of the 2 or 3 to chose from go beautifully with the hymns and so forth. The committee has no decision making authority or special training to my knowledge. I’ve been to one meeting when work did not interfere, and I know I don’t have a Liturgical degree. It’s only for (name removed by moderator)ut / feedback. She, as pastor, makes the decision, and it is based on legal stuff like what is required/ recommended/ obligatory- by the Church - and she is responsible for making sure there are no profanations or liturgical abuses. In a parish where the priest is the pastor, I believe he is the one who does all of this and is responsible for everything. I’m not an expert, but hope that helps.
 
I recently heard that the scripture readings during mass are the same across the world each Sunday. I find this truly remarkable…

Does anyone know if the readings are intended to cover the entire Bible eventually, or are they pulled from selected books? If they do cover the entire Bible, how long does it take to get through the entire cycle of reading all the books (years, I presume), or are the readings not really that cyclical?

Basically I’d like to know more about how the readings are chosen, and what system the church uses to choose them each Sunday.

Thank you.
The Bible is covered in 3-years.
Seems The Almighty ‘likes’ things in threes.

:cool:
 
I recently heard that the scripture readings during mass are the same across the world each Sunday. I find this truly remarkable…

Does anyone know if the readings are intended to cover the entire Bible eventually, or are they pulled from selected books? If they do cover the entire Bible, how long does it take to get through the entire cycle of reading all the books (years, I presume), or are the readings not really that cyclical?

Basically I’d like to know more about how the readings are chosen, and what system the church uses to choose them each Sunday.

Thank you.
You must remember first that the whole three-year cycle is a relatively recent development within the Church. The more ancient custom (as you’ll observe if you look across the lectionaries of different Churches) is to have a cycle of readings that apparently last only for a single liturgical year before it repeats again: such was the case in the Roman Rite before the Ordo Lectionum Missae or ‘Order of the Readings for Mass’ was promulgated post-Vatican II. The Eastern Churches (Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Byzantine Catholic, the Assyrian Church of the East, and those bodies not in communion with any of them but still practicing eastern liturgical customs) tend to retain the use of a one-year lectionary in their liturgies even today.

At least within the Roman Church (as well as some Protestant churches which use the * Revised Common Lectionary* and its deritatives, which are based from the new order promulgated after Vatican II) nowadays, the Order of Readings are organized into three-year cycles of readings for Sundays. The years are designated as Year A, B, or C. Every yearly cycle, which begins on the first Sunday of Advent, is assigned a Synoptic Gospel of its own (John is read throughout certain liturgical seasons, such as the whole of Easter, as well as Advent, Christmas, and Lent where appropriate): A is Matthew, B is Mark, and C is Luke.

Aside from this three-year cycle, we also have a two-year cycle for weekday Mass (called Cycle I and Cycle II). Odd-numbered years are Cycle I; even-numbered ones are Cycle II. The weekday lectionary includes a reading from the Old Testament, Acts, Revelation, or the Epistles, a responsorial Psalm, and a reading from one of the Gospels. These readings are generally shorter than those appointed for use on Sundays. The Gospels are arranged so that portions from all four are read every year.

Of course, including 100% of the Bible is impossible (considering some parts are, admittedly, dull reading unless you’re an ancient Israelite, such as genealogies or most of Leviticus :D), but an estimate by Fr. Felix Just gives out a total of 13.5% for the Old Testament and 71.5% of the New Testament, Sunday and weekday readings combined.
 
an estimate by Fr. Felix Just
gives out a total of 13.5% for the Old Testament and 71.5% of the New Testament, Sunday and weekday readings combined.
Note to save others wasting time: this is a link to the **same page **as given in a post above. I do wish people would read threads before posting.😛
 
Note to save others wasting time: this is a link to the **same page **as given in a post above. I do wish people would read threads before posting.😛
Hey, great minds all think alike and repetition is the mother of all learning (=thinly-veiled excuse). 😃
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top