Scrupulous or Just Being Careful Not To Deceive Myself?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ausculta
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ausculta

Guest
Here’s my struggle:

Last Saturday I went to see this new movie called The Watchmen. I love comic book movie adaptations (even given their limitations), so I had every intention to see this movie. I had read it in part or whole (can’t remember exactly) at some point in my past, and I thought: “what a great way to experience the story again.”

Now, I have struggled with chastity and lust issues in the past and continue to successfully battle against temptations associated with these. Judging from the previews and the movie rating I knew beforehand that there would be: 1) Some scantily clad women. 2) Maybe one sex scene. I was planning to go (and went) with my wife and I figured I would avert my eyes to the ground and have her let me know when I can look up again (which I did).

The movie had more than one sexually intense scene (more like 4) and I found myself looking at the floor a lot and exerting a lot of effort to resist indulging in the scenes. I did not deliberately entertain any participation with these images even though I sensed being aroused. I did not want to be aroused. Needless to say, I left feeling very guilty about my poor choice in a movie. (Maybe I should have got up and left? 🤷)

I went home, picked up my examine of conscience and flipped through it. I found “watching TV or films that promote sex or violence” in the venial sins section. I breathed a sigh of relief and said an act of contrition (in my own words) expressing my sorrow for having gone and my intention to avoid such movies in the future. The next day (Sunday) I went to mass and received communion.

Come Monday I was still feeling guilty about it. After looking at some posts on the forums from others that have had similar experiences, I discovered that this is clearly an example of putting myself in a “near occasion of sin”. So now I’m feeling really bad.

Was I in mortal sin for simply going to this movie?
Did I compound matters by receiving communion the following day?

I presently feel like I should go to confession with this dilemma, but I need to know if I should also confess receiving unworthily.

Scrupulous or just being careful? 😦
 
You went to the movie for the sake of the plot, not the sex scenes. Additionally, you had a plan to avoid seeing and being tempted by the sex scene(s). I see no mortal sin here.

If you did not commit a mortal sin (and I don’t think you did), there’s no problem about receiving Holy Communion. It was only after you received that you began to question the propriety of doing so, which means that you did not receive when you were unsure about being improperly disposed. Again, I see no sin in doing so.

That being said, it never hurts to bring it up in Confession and clarify things by talking it over with the priest. Just tell him what happened and what you are unsure of, and he will help you with it. If he determines that you sinned, he’s there to forgive you.

Another thought for you is this: The fact that something is posted online is not a guarantee of its reliability. The people who post here may also be confused or wrong, so you should not rely heavily on what you read here, especially for important matters of conscience. The final determination can be made in the confessional.

And yes, I think you are being a bit scrupulous. You might want to discuss this tendency with your priest also. God bless you for caring so much.

Betsy
 
Thanks for your help, Betsy. God bless you.
If you did not commit a mortal sin (and I don’t think you did), there’s no problem about receiving Holy Communion. It was only after you received that you began to question the propriety of doing so, which means that you did not receive when you were unsure about being improperly disposed. Again, I see no sin in doing so.
I have always struggled with feeling improperly disposed for communion because I have trouble sometimes discerning the gravity of a sin (mortal/venial). All of the experts suggest that when in doubt it can’t be mortal and to simply say an act of contrition and receive communion, which I do. I think lately I’ve simply gotten tired of being in doubt. Tired of uncertainty. Tired about worrying. And I really hope it doesn’t lead to despair. I am too hard on myself, but I just want to love Christ as best I can and to be honest with myself in this regard. This situation just pushed me a little too far. I am going to go to confession this Saturday and see about some help.

Thanks again.

A
 
My dear friend

It’s best to confess the movie and communion just in case and learn as you have. Don’t reflect on the past except for confession here is best.

God bless you:thumbsup:🙂
 
** I found “watching TV or films that promote sex or violence” in the venial sins section.**

What exactly does this mean?

Sex and violence are part of the fabric of life. They are even found in the Bible.

Is this examen saying that stories that have sex and violence as ingredients are venially sinful? That would exclude all of Shakespeare.
 
** I found “watching TV or films that promote sex or violence” in the venial sins section.**

What exactly does this mean?

Sex and violence are part of the fabric of life. They are even found in the Bible.

Is this examen saying that stories that have sex and violence as ingredients are venially sinful? That would exclude all of Shakespeare.
Shakespeare’s plays don’t show practically every detail (or any details) of actual intercourse. Seems that you may really know what this means, but don’t want to avoid the majority - now - of TV or films? :ehh:

:blessyou:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top