Sculpture and christianity

• Thread starter Thread starter JSCarving
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JSCarving

I am a professional ecclesiastical woodcarver and of late have been wondering about studying and developing a theme of a figureative piece of sculpture. The idea, is that the christian theme would be original in detail, and appeal to modern day spiritual needs.

My goal is to produce a spiritual tool to inspire the onlooker and make them stop and think.

My biblical knowledge is not detailed. The problem I have is I dont really know what a good theme would be.

Any ideas out there

Thanks

This might seem like a simple solution but, pray. I am certain that if you ask God for inspiration that he will provide it.

40.png
JSCarving:
I am a professional ecclesiastical woodcarver and of late have been wondering about studying and developing a theme of a figureative piece of sculpture. The idea, is that the christian theme would be original in detail, and appeal to modern day spiritual needs.

My goal is to produce a spiritual tool to inspire the onlooker and make them stop and think.

My biblical knowledge is not detailed. The problem I have is I dont really know what a good theme would be.

Any ideas out there

Thanks
Jesus with the children might invoke tenderness and sympathy, perhaps. The glory of the Ressurection or Transfiguration?

40.png
JSCarving:

Any ideas out there

Thanks
An idea that comes to my mind is St. Joseph with the child Jesus in his woodshop. I once saw a piece like that carved out of wood and it was breathtaking. Fatherhood is under such attack these days, and perhaps seeing a foster-father and Son working together with tools will help give others the spiritual tools to recognize the important role of loving fathers in the formation of their sons.

Any ideas out there

Thanks
Why not do a series with the theme “wood.” Since you are a woodcarver, this would serve a dual purpose and could really be a “niche” for you.

Consider the times in the Bible when wood is part of the equation…the lasy supper, the crucifixion, Jesus walking on water towards the boat, etc.

Perhaps there is a way for you to treat the wood once carved to make it stand out? Or do not detail the wood elements like you do the rest of the sculpture. For instance the last suppoer could be a number of nicely carved people sitting around a “table” that looks like it’s made right out of a tree (uncarved).

Just throwing ideas out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back