Sean Herriott on Relevant Radio?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Cricket17
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Cricket17

Guest
Does anybody know what happened to Sean Herriott, the former host of “Morning Air,” on Relevant Radio? He disappeared suddenly last week after a long, illustrious career. No explanation was given. Sean was a faithful Catholic, erudite, witty–just about the best on-air host/editor in the world of Catholic Media today.
 
I hope someone can tell us. I have to admit that it doesn’t feel right to boot the guy and expect the audience to be okay with the station acting like he was never there. I get there is probably a legal thing behind not saying anything but at least acknowledge his service to the radio station and be open about the show moving on without him.
 
I hope someone knows and tells us, too. I didn’t even notice he was gone until I saw this thread because sometimes I only half pay attention (it’s on early), and I *always *ditch out on “Glenn’s Story Corner” (or should I say Glenn’s Corny Story) :rolleyes: And not to seem uncharitable, but it’s a *little *weird that he’s hosting the show *and *still calls it “Glenn’s Story Corner.”
 
Okay, for the three of us that are wondering, I found this statement on Sean Harriott’s Facebook Page:
Lots of folks are starting to ask, “What happened?”
Relevant Radio decided to make a change in morning drive, and my last day with the company was a week ago today. It was unexpected, but some of life’s greatest blessings can come wrapped up as problems.
Everyone at Relevant Radio was kind, compassionate, and showed genuine concern for me and my family. I have nothing but gratitude for the nearly 10 years I spent there. On and off the air, they are the best people I’ve ever worked with.
The Herriott family is on to new adventures, and we have no idea where the road will take us at this point. I’m exploring some possible work opportunities, and I’ll start looking in earnest next week. In the meantime, thanks so much for your concern, and for your prayers.
So we’re not likely to get specifics. Ever. 😦
 
I am happy with the change.
I like Sean Herriott, I am just not that interested in the topics.
Religious topics interest me more.
I can only listen to Relevant radio in the morning and also after work.
After work is perfect, because the topics between 6 and 8 pm are what I like to listen.
 
This whole thing had really been bothering me. I love Relevant Radio and feel it has been a great blessing for the whole church. And I felt Sean was the perfect host and could not imagine the program without him.

With that being said I do not understand how in this day and age - a radio network thinks this is a good way to treat it’s audience. It is actually quite insulting.

Radio, particularly talk radio, is a very personal - even intimate - media. It is quite unlike other media in this sense. Pretending that someone you have listened or even talked with for ten years does not exist anymore and then not even explain on air the obvious void or a simple acknowledgement that the host will not be coming back is quite unacceptable.

The best managed talk radio stations now go to great lengths to inform there audience (customers) with explanations and even advance notice of upcoming changes.

Really it is least the station can do. I trust management to bring good Catholic programming to the air waves but they really need to trust their audience with an open and honest dialogue about these type of changes.

This is especially true when they expect the audience to come up with millions of dollars to keep the station on the air. I do not mind committing several hundreds of dollars each year to help them - but at the same time I expect to be treated like an honest and intelligent partner.

I think they need to understand that some folks have felt slighted by the way they handled this. Being honest and open means you treat your audience like good friends and partners. It’s the christian thing to do.
 
Thanks for digging into this. Been too busy to do so myself.

I’ve seen this situation before. To me, this does look like a professional way of handling what ever problem occurred. There must have been a problem or it would not have happened, but rather than gossip about it, or dwell on it, it’s just “taken care of” with courtesy and respect for each other because that is the proper way to deal with such things.

While many of us would love to know (and probably take sides) such information is neither our business nor necessarily good for either party, nor us as listeners, as it will turn out.

Sean is a good host and will likely get another job soon. Change, while painful, is full of potential growth. Each party is “going with God” here and I’m sure something better will come of this for all parties.
 
I got tired of RR some time ago, but I can tell you this:

Like others, RR does not always make smart decisions.

Like most RR does not like disclosing their internal processes. (There may even be a clause in his separation package that says he must keep quiet or he won’t get paid.)

There are several reasons why some on air types get bounced. These can be true of secular radio, but certainly happens with the likes of RR.
  1. The person gets raises over the years and becomes too expensive to keep.
  2. The ratings drop over time. People want something different.
  3. Upper management decides the show host is either too hard or two soft, too left or two right (often based on their own preferences, not the listeners).
  4. They get bedazzled by some alleged superstar, bounce the host and take the bait. The adoration of all things Corapi is a older example. Jeff Cavins was another…
My personal GUESS is #3. In this insane polarized environment, let’s see who replaces Sean. Sean was the only one that seemed to have a sense of humor.
 
This whole thing had really been bothering me. I love Relevant Radio and feel it has been a great blessing for the whole church. And I felt Sean was the perfect host and could not imagine the program without him.

With that being said I do not understand how in this day and age - a radio network thinks this is a good way to treat it’s audience. It is actually quite insulting.

Radio, particularly talk radio, is a very personal - even intimate - media. It is quite unlike other media in this sense. Pretending that someone you have listened or even talked with for ten years does not exist anymore and then not even explain on air the obvious void or a simple acknowledgement that the host will not be coming back is quite unacceptable.

The best managed talk radio stations now go to great lengths to inform there audience (customers) with explanations and even advance notice of upcoming changes.

Really it is least the station can do. I trust management to bring good Catholic programming to the air waves but they really need to trust their audience with an open and honest dialogue about these type of changes.

This is especially true when they expect the audience to come up with millions of dollars to keep the station on the air. I do not mind committing several hundreds of dollars each year to help them - but at the same time I expect to be treated like an honest and intelligent partner.

I think they need to understand that some folks have felt slighted by the way they handled this. Being honest and open means you treat your audience like good friends and partners. It’s the christian thing to do.
(MikeB)
I felt the exact way when Jeff Cavins left the show and Sean entered. I grew to really appreciate Sean and I am sure we all will do the same for the new guy. I do feel bad for Sean but the Lord will provide.
 
I got tired of RR some time ago, but I can tell you this:

Like others, RR does not always make smart decisions.

Like most RR does not like disclosing their internal processes. (There may even be a clause in his separation package that says he must keep quiet or he won’t get paid.)

There are several reasons why some on air types get bounced. These can be true of secular radio, but certainly happens with the likes of RR.
  1. The person gets raises over the years and becomes too expensive to keep.
    ** 2. The ratings drop over time. People want something different.**
  2. Upper management decides the show host is either too hard or two soft, too left or two right (often based on their own preferences, not the listeners).
  3. They get bedazzled by some alleged superstar, bounce the host and take the bait. The adoration of all things Corapi is a older example. Jeff Cavins was another…
My personal GUESS is #3. In this insane polarized environment, let’s see who replaces Sean. Sean was the only one that seemed to have a sense of humor.
I’m aware of another radio host who left a secular station in the last month. His explanation was he was going on to do other things but I really had to wonder if it was ratings. I’ve listened to “morning air”, sometimes it’s difficult to listen to some stations on a daily basis. I enjoy “go ask Father” as well which I’ve caught at night time. Maybe somehow an actual man of the cloth will come in and host.
 
For those of you interested, Sean may be starting his own pod-cast interview show (He may have started it already, but I haven’t had the time to check yet).

Watch his Facebook page for details.

And Pray for him,

God Bless, :signofcross:
Poor Knight for Christ and His Church
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top