Second hand store find

• Thread starter Thread starter Teresa9
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Teresa9

Dear friends

I was in one of my favourite places today, a second hand store, I love a bargain šŸ˜ƒ . I found a book called ā€˜God Calling - A Devotional Diary by Two Listenersā€™ Edited by A J Russell and so I bought it.

I was wondering if anyone has read this book and what they think of it. I have no idea if it is Catholic in origin. Any information or thoughts on this book would be lovely.

Maybe it is a bad buy, maybe it isnā€™t I havenā€™t read it yet.

Thank you in advance

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

I havenā€™t read the book but Iā€™ve found some awesome stuff in second hand stores! šŸ™‚

40.png
WhiteDove:
I havenā€™t read the book but Iā€™ve found some awesome stuff in second hand stores! šŸ™‚
Dear Whitedove

Me too! Most of my clothes, some furniture, most of my daughters toys and clothes and lots of books and other such stuff! I am a second hand lady, there really is no need to buy things brand new and I am very resourceful!!!šŸ˜ƒ I donā€™t like to see waste! Oddly enough I may be in need of an item, I pop into a second hand store and there it is, for example my iron broke down, I didnā€™t have any cash to buy a new one, and there I found a nearly unused iron in a second hand storeā€¦long live the second hand store!!!

Teresa

Yep, I buy my clothes second hand as well. Shopping this way is like a treasure hunt! Iā€™m so thankful that I live in a land of abundence and to all those who by new stuff, and then take their old stuff to the thrift store. ( I take my stuff there too, in one door out the other!)

40.png
Teresa9:
Dear friends

I was in one of my favourite places today, a second hand store, I love a bargain šŸ˜ƒ . I found a book called ā€˜God Calling - A Devotional Diary by Two Listenersā€™ Edited by A J Russell and so I bought it.

I was wondering if anyone has read this book and what they think of it. I have no idea if it is Catholic in origin. Any information or thoughts on this book would be lovely.

Maybe it is a bad buy, maybe it isnā€™t I havenā€™t read it yet.
Hi Teresa,
I remember having this book and I donā€™t remember what I did with it. I did a search : God Calling I think that if I got a lot out of it I would still haveā€¦:hmmm: I hope this helps.
God Bless,
Annunciata:)

Dear Teresa,

Oh my! We have more in common than we realized! This book is absolutely one of my favorites! It is a daily devotional, like many others out there, but this one is so anointed! I canā€™t tell you how many times God has timed the events in my life so I could read the answer in the reading of the day. Amazing! It is not a doctrinal book, but it has practical spiritual advice that I feel inwardly is inspired!

By way of my most poignant example, Iā€™ll share the incident that is forever etched in my memory. I had a strong desire one afternoon in late summer for some fresh fruit, and had just left my home to go out and buy some. As I approached my car to go to the store, my next door neighbor called to me, asking if I would like to have a fruit basket. Thinking this was more than I could use, I said no thanks, as I was going to buy a small amount. He said the fruit is free, and pointed to two ladies who were across the street approaching me with a large fruit basket.

The ladies smiled and offered me the basket. I removed the note they had attached to it, and stapled it in my journal. It reads:

ā€œOPERATION BEAR FRUIT. As the Lord continues to bless our church, we felt it important to carry this blessing to our community. Please accept and enjoy this fruit basket with our prayers and best wishes for you and your family.ā€

I felt this was a deep message from the Lord, since I was inspired to buy fruit at the precise moment it was being delivered free to my door. This was on August 8th, and the message in ā€œGod Callingā€ for that same day spoke much about God being our Divine Supply, and to depend upon Him in complete trust. I understood it would pertain to both material and spiritual supply, and the fruit would always flow from His providence.

I have no doubt you will be much blessed as you read these beautiful devotions.

Christā€™s peace and joy be with you,
Carole

Dear Joysong,
But, do you like second hand stores, thatā€™s what I want to know??? šŸ˜ƒ

(methinks this calls for a poll)

I enjoy second hand stores and have found some great thingsā€¦my best was someones old St Josephs missal šŸ‘

Framed french travel postersā€¦etcā€¦

Hello, Dove,

Do I like them!!! Do I EVER like them!!! Not only those, but flea markets as well! I just found a little book called ā€œSecret of the Vineā€ by the author of Prayer of Jabez (Bruce Wilkerson?) and got it for $1.00. A little written treasure talking about abiding in Jesus, the Vine. I also got a beautiful Catholic bible with a leather cover for $1.00. It had an inscription on the front to someone who had made their confirmation in 1987, but had obviously never been opened. It was in perfect condition, even had gold edges on the pages! Not a treasure for her, apparently, but a god-send for me. :clapping: Yes, I did pray for God to send me one, as I could not afford $30.00.

Another book, Hinds Feet on High Places, was also someone elseā€™s throw-away that found its way into my library for about 50 cents - a wonderful analogy of our spiritual journey, by Hannah Hurnard.

We would be good companions scouring these places for hidden gold, wouldnā€™t we? Anytime youā€™re ready, call me!

Carole

Iā€™m in Washington State, just email me and weā€™ll meet in Seattle!
I like antique stores tooā€¦

40.png
Joysong:
ā€¦Another book, Hinds Feet on High Places, was also someone elseā€™s throw-away that found its way into my library for about 50 cents - a wonderful analogy of our spiritual journey, by Hannah Hurnard.
Hi Joysong,
Though I donā€™t share your ā€œjoyā€ of second hand stores, I do share this book in common w/ you. I absolutely love it! I read it once a year to put myself back on trackā€¦ I couldnā€™t find it this year so I went to Amazon and not only found itā€¦but an illustrated version and an audio on CD! I was like a little kid. I gave the illustrated version to my granddaughter who is 12 and was quite moved by it as it is geared for childrenā€¦I actually liked it better than the original book. The audio is very nice as well. Annunciata:)

Dear Annunciata,
And, I thought we had somethingā€¦ After all weā€™ve shared, too. How could you??? šŸ˜¦

Dear Joysong

Fantastic!!! I started reading this book last night ā€˜God Callingā€™. There are some beautiful inspirational pieces in there. I went to bed at 7pm and read straight through until 10pm. Itā€™s beautiful. Iā€™d recommend everyone read it. It is not doctrinal to any faith, rather more ā€˜Christianā€™ in spirit, but there is a strong Catholic element to it. I donā€™t know whether I accept they are messages from Jesus, but even if they are not the writer has provided a little book of treasures and inspiration. It doesnā€™t really guide on salvation, but more on daily struggle, suffering and living in Christ.

Before my faith deepened I had one statue of Christ Jesus as the Good Shepherd and one of St Therese of Liseux given to my by my parents. Itā€™s not often you find Catholic materials or objects in second hand stores in the UK. In one week I found a whole host of Catholic stuff and every item I saw I bought, in total it all amounted to Ā£10 which is nothing. When you need an item God provides and second hand stores are my favourite hobby, as well as jumble sales, flea markets and other such places where treasure is found for a pitance.

Seems all who commented on this thread apart from Annunciata have a bug for second hand stores and sales. Come on Annunciata, canā€™t I convert you to the wonders of second hand stores ???šŸ˜ƒ šŸ˜‰

All the stuff my daughter grows out of and toys she no longer plays with, things we no longer need go to the Church sale or second hand stores, itā€™s a constant recycling. What is one manā€™s rubbish is another manā€™s treasure!! The town I live in is troubled by unemployment and poverty, these stores are a great way to minister without even knowing the recepient. The other good thing about them, is that most of them at least here in the UK are run for charity. I frequent the ā€˜Help the Agedā€™, ā€˜Animal Rescueā€™, ā€˜Cancer Researchā€™, ā€˜Save the Childrenā€™ and ā€˜Cats Protectionā€™ Charity second hand stores as well as the townā€™s flea market, jumble sales and the Church sales. What you spend goes to aid those charities, help for all, the buyer and those sellingā€¦wonderful!!! I love second hand stores, as a single parent, they are a Godsend!! They mean that most things we can get cheaply and that leaves a little room for treats like this computer, days out, holidays etc etc that otherwise we would not be able to afford.

Teresa

Hello Teresa,

Iā€™m so excited that you like the book! Wait until you see how God corresponds the readings with your daily events - so often thereā€™s a little bit of insight with perfect timing!
What you spend goes to aid those charities, help for all, the buyer and those sellingā€¦wonderful!!! I love second hand stores, as a single parent, they are a Godsend!! They mean that most things we can get cheaply and that leaves a little room for treats like this computer, days out, holidays etc etc that otherwise we would not be able to afford.
Yes, they are a real ā€œGodsendā€ in so many wonderful ways! I failed to mention, but there are stores here that my friends and I have discovered, not only for the spiritual items I mentioned, but also for clothing. The items are laundered, pressed, arranged in sizes on hangers and racks, and ready to try on in a dressing room. Many times, they are brand new with tags still on them - possibly a recycle from stores that could not sell them in time to make ready for the new seasonā€™s line, ā€” and all for a tiny fraction of the regular market cost. :dancing: Way to go!

Carole

Dear Annunciata,

My goodness, we could share hours of insights from Ms. Hurnardā€™s book, couldnā€™t we? I absolutely loved the ending where Miss Much-afraid was transformed into ā€œGrace and Glory.ā€ Many a joyful tear was shed in this section.

Amazingly, though the author is not Catholic, her spiritual journey greatly resembles everything I have read in the lives of our Saints. God is the same yesterday and today, no matter which faith we profess. It was very edifying to observe this.

I also enjoyed her very visual and descriptive, even poetic use of words to describe things in Godā€™s creation. One could almost hear the water trickle in the stream and feel the sunā€™s warmth, etc.

I will need to check out the illustrated version, as my grandchildren may find it helpful. Are you saying the concepts are easy to grasp for a teenager?

Warmest regards,
Carole

40.png
Joysong:
Dear Annunciata,

My goodness, we could share hours of insights from Ms. Hurnardā€™s book, couldnā€™t we? I absolutely loved the ending where Miss Much-afraid was transformed into ā€œGrace and Glory.ā€ Many a joyful tear was shed in this section.

Amazingly, though the author is not Catholic, her spiritual journey greatly resembles everything I have read in the lives of our Saints. God is the same yesterday and today, no matter which faith we profess. It was very edifying to observe this.

I also enjoyed her very visual and descriptive, even poetic use of words to describe things in Godā€™s creation. One could almost hear the water trickle in the stream and feel the sunā€™s warmth, etc.

I will need to check out the illustrated version, as my grandchildren may find it helpful. Are you saying the concepts are easy to grasp for a teenager?
This book is very helpful to me when I start letting the thing that ā€œcripplesā€ me (anxiety) bother me too much ā€¦MuchAfraid became my best friend!
The illustrations and the explanations of each chapter are very goodā€¦ checkout Amazon and read the reviews on itā€¦ā€Hindā€™s Feet On High Places, Illustratedā€.

Actually I bought the book for her mother, she was the one who had my copy and she never really understood itā€¦. My granddaughter took possession of it immediately ā€¦the illustrations intrigued herā€¦Much-Afraid even more (GD is a scaredy cat like me)šŸ™‚ I really havenā€™t had a chance to sit down w/ her and discuss what she has learned from the bookā€¦ They have been busy w/ the new baby, etc.
God Bless,
Annunciata:)

My wife and I have used this book for over ten years. We think that itā€™s excellentā€¦good words for everyday life.

40.png
WhiteDove:
Iā€™m in Washington State, just email me and weā€™ll meet in Seattle!
I like antique stores tooā€¦
Take the ferry to Bainbridge Island. There are some wonderful second hand stores there!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back