Second marriage and receiving communion

  • Thread starter Thread starter cmscms
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cmscms

Guest
Someone told me the Pope is now allowing second marriages. I did some research and all I found in English is the link below. I went on the Vatican website and the only letter was in Spanish. I put it in a google translator and basicall the only thing I can conclude is the Pope said that exception’s can exist for people in invalid marriages to receive communion but it needs to be discerned.

Frankly, this sounds really wishy washy to me. Just curious, but does anyone have any information about being married a second time (in the church) and receiving communion when in a second marriage?

 
I don’t think you can be licitly married a second time “in the church” unless the vows of your first marriage are dealt with (annulment or someone passed away).

As to the confusion, it has always been the case that there can be some pastoral exceptions made on a case by case basis, but it remains to be determined (and, I think this is what Pope Francis was referring to). And, I should be clear here that even this has to work within the confines of what constitutes a sacramental marriage. Here I’m mostly thinking about Petrine and Pauline privilege and / or issues with marriage tribunals. See Card. Ratzinger. point 3c

People (especially the media and other pope detractors) tend to twist the Pope’s words to suit their agenda.

(Edited for clarity and to add the citation to Card. Ratzinger before he became Pope Benedict XVI. )
 
Last edited:
Someone told me the Pope is now allowing second marriages.
No, this is not correct.
Just curious, but does anyone have any information about being married a second time (in the church) and receiving communion when in a second marriage?
If one is married a second time in the church then yes they can receive communion because they are in a valid marriage.
the only thing I can conclude is the Pope said that exception’s can exist for people in invalid marriages to receive communion but it needs to be discerned.
This has been talked about infinitely on this board. Yes, it’s vague and confusing.
 
So if I understand, this is the same old issue that has been going on for centuries. The Church has teachings, someone will always take a statement the Pope said and twist it out of context. And as far as receiving communion while in a second civil marriage, it is like all other sins and must be prayed over
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top