'Sectarian' and 'Ecumenical' beliefs and values

• Thread starter Thread starter Flopfoot
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Flopfoot

What do you think?

Sectarianism - When is it pride in your church and sticking up for what is true and good, and when is it harmful to yourself and others?

Ecumenism - When is it trying to acheive the Christian unity that God desires, and when is it watering down the Church too much?

40.png
Flopfoot:
What do you think?

Sectarianism - When is it pride in your church and sticking up for what is true and good, and when is it harmful to yourself and others?

I think pride in one’s Church is very dangerous - the focus should be on Christ, always. I think we can put misconceptions right, if we go about it the right way, and not argumentatively.​

Ecumenism - When is it trying to acheive the Christian unity that God desires, and when is it watering down the Church too much?

Ecumenism as such is fine - false ecumenism, ecumenism which needs to be so described, is the problem.​

Sectarianism can be good–if we don’t believe our religion is the correct one (whatever that religion is) why are we there? But, we have to balance our love for our church with the love of our fellow man; we can’t allow pride to make us become rude or hateful to others.

Ecumenism, too, can be a very good thing. I live in a very religious area, a small town with many churches, all but mine are a protestant denomination. Working together gets things done. No one should have to water down their faith, but when it comes down to it, we, at least as Christians, should be living by the two most important commandments “To love the Lord your God with all your heart, mind, and soul, and to love your neighbor as yourself.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back