Secular activities sinful?

• Thread starter Thread starter Brown10985
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brown10985

Would if be sinful to engage in secular activities? I ask this because engaging in secular activities such as going to a sporting event can be time and money better well spent helping the poor or growing spiritually. So is it sinful to engage in secular activities and if no why not?

40.png
Brown10985:
Would if be sinful to engage in secular activities? I ask this because engaging in secular activities such as going to a sporting event can be time and money better well spent helping the poor or growing spiritually. So is it sinful to engage in secular activities and if no why not?
If you are not a vowed religious, you are secular. God calls us to be the best we can be within the vocation to which we are called. Secular activities are essential to being a good and holy, secular person, and you would not be true to your secular vocation if you did not engage in them.

Most Catholics are called to live in this world – in its fullness and entirety. Thus, we enjoy art, culture, reading, sports, politics, i.e., the fullness of life on earth.

One of my friends once asked me if it was “wrong” to do anything that wasn’t edifying or glorifying, he offered as an example, playing cards.

I asked him if any good could come from playing cards and with a simple shrug he indicated his passive indifference. I explained to him that in my family, playing cards was a time of fellowship, that we spent our time together playing cards, talking and enjoying each other’s company.

Could you apply the same thinking to other so-called “secular” activities? Sure. Could I bond with my sons by taking them to a ball game? Absolutely. Ergo, I don’t think there’s anything wrong, but I reserve the right to be wrong.

pax,
Corey

Secular activities, unless inherently evil in themselves, such as extramatrial sex, are not sinful unless taken to excess or are done in such a manner to exclude God from those activities.

Then the sin become neglecting some duty in some area, such as not spending enough time with the family, because you are playing 9 holes of golf everyday for recreation, or skipping Sunday Mass to go water skiing.

you can engage in pretty much any activity (non sinful of course) in such a way that it gives glory to God. don’t worry about it - this is the kind of thing that people fall into scrupulosity over (happened to a friend of mine, she became obsessed with every little thing she did, in case it wasn’t prayerful enough)

40.png
Minerva:
you can engage in pretty much any activity (non sinful of course) in such a way that it gives glory to God. don’t worry about it - this is the kind of thing that people fall into scrupulosity over (happened to a friend of mine, she became obsessed with every little thing she did, in case it wasn’t prayerful enough)
I too fall into scrupulosity often which is why I’m wondering if I’m thinking this way because I’m being scrupulous or not. It has been mentioned in this thread that such things as going to a ballgame and playing cards creates fellowship for family and friends which glorifies God. I agree 100%. Though can’t you gain fellowship with friends or family while working together at a soup kitchen or gain fellowship with friends or family while evangelizing and taking the money you would have used to go to that ballgame and give it to the poor? I can’t help but feel selfish to engage in these activities when I could be spreading the Word or using the money that I would be using to see that movie and use it to give to someone less fortunate.

Some would argue that “wasting time” on these forums is as silly a secular activity as any! And for some of us this may well be a real issue (I will be inclined to agree with this for myself when I see how late this posts!) We are not obligated to some kind of principle of double effect so that I can only have fun if I am simultaneously engaging in a virtuous act or work of charity. I can just have fun period, as long as I am not doing anything intrinsically wrong or anything neutral or good taken to excess or neglect.

40.png
Brown10985:
…taking the money you would have used to go to that ballgame and give it to the poor? I can’t help but feel selfish to engage in these activities when I could be spreading the Word or using the money that I would be using to see that movie and use it to give to someone less fortunate.
What about the people employed at the stadium? The vendors, the ushers, the grounds crew, and all the people who wouldn’t have a job if no one attended the games? When you go to the game and spend your money there, you are having needed recreation, enjoying the company of your friends AND supporting the stadium workers. And what’s to stop you from talking about God with the friends you go to the game with? Lots of good can be done between innings. Spreading the word happens friend to friend, not on street corners. Take your wavering friends to the game and buy some hot dogs, simultaneously spreading the word and supporting the workers. It’s a good thing.

Betsy

My brother-in-law converted from a general, hazy, non-religious “belief in God” to Catholicism, thanks in no small part to lengthy conversations we had that took place in a hot tub while smoking cigars. I can’t imagine having had those conversations with him under any other circumstances. We’ve even named the hot tub the Sunday Night Baptismal Font in honor of his conversion.

You can find God just about anywhere you choose to find him.

40.png
Brown10985:
I too fall into scrupulosity often which is why I’m wondering if I’m thinking this way because I’m being scrupulous or not. It has been mentioned in this thread that such things as going to a ballgame and playing cards creates fellowship for family and friends which glorifies God. I agree 100%. Though can’t you gain fellowship with friends or family while working together at a soup kitchen or gain fellowship with friends or family while evangelizing and taking the money you would have used to go to that ballgame and give it to the poor? I can’t help but feel selfish to engage in these activities when I could be spreading the Word or using the money that I would be using to see that movie and use it to give to someone less fortunate.
I think we need to remember that God created the world and everything in it, and “God saw that it was good”. So long as we are mis-using the gifts God gives us, I think it’s fine to take advantage of the many fine things that he created, even if they don’t have overt religious significance.

I think people make too much of the division between “secular” activities and “religious” activities. You don’t check your religion at the door when you go to a ball game, any more than you check your American citizenship at the door when you go to church or to a soup kitchen. When you go to a ball game, give thanks to God for the green grass in the stadium and the athletic talents of the ball players and the for the hot dogs and fresh roasted peanuts, and pray for the safety and enjoyment of everyone there.

No matter what you are doing, you can always say “Well, I could be doing more good if only…” If you are at a ball game, perhaps you could be doing more good at a soup kitchen. If you are at a soup kitchen, perhaps you could be doing more good at a battered womens’ shelter. If you are at a womens’ shelter, perhaps you could be doing more good caring for the dying in the slums of Calcutta. If you are in the slums of Calcutta, perhaps you could be doing more good counseling women at a crisis pregnancy center.

I think the challenge is to serve God the best you can in whatever situation you’re in, and give thanks to God for the opportunity to do so. Recognize that it is important to set aside time to do specific “community service” type stuff, according to your means and abilities. But we have to recognize that there are many problems in the world that we will never have the opportunity to fight ourselves, but our brothers and sisters in the faith are willing to take on those challenges. So we pray for them. If everyone does their part, then nobody has to do everything.

The words from Ecclesiastes may also be relevant here, “To everything there is a season, and daytime to every purpose under the heavens.” (you know the song…)

JMJ

I suggest reading about the life of St. Therese of Lisieux, the Little Flower. Her auto biography, which she was ordered to write, “The Story of a Soul,” would make a good start.

She describes her “little way” to please God and to obtain graces. She reveals how the most mundane actions of each day can give glory to God and can save souls. She even describes the “picking a pin from the floor,” if done with the proper motives and intentions, can bring untold graces to oneself and can be applied to others.

Of course, the “proper motives and intentions” are key to this method. The Morning Offering which starts: “O Jesus, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer Thee all my prayers, **works, joys, ** and sufferings of this day…” clearly indicates that God appreciates the licit chores and pleasures of our everyday lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back