Secular Institutes

• Thread starter Thread starter BonnieBj
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BonnieBj

I hope this is the right forum for this. I am reading JP2’s book “The Private Prayers of Pope John Paul II: Words of Inspiration.” It is addressed to the consecrated members of the secular institutes, althoug it has value for others outside that realm. I really don’t understand what this is. How are these related to nuns and monks and priests and others who are in religious orders and those who are Oblates or in Third Orders? I would like to hear from some people who are members of secular institutes to learn more. The web sites I checked did not give me the personal side of this that I am interested in.

A secular institute is a new form of consecrated life in the Church where members, while still living in the world and going about their daily bussiness, are bonded by poverty, chastity, and obedience and work according to the charism of their institute for the sanctification of the world. I believe that they take their vow of obedience either to their diocesan bishop or to the moderator of their institute, and all their goods are technically signed over to the institute.

It is different from religious orders or congregations because they do not live a communal life with other members of their institute. It is different from a third order because these people actually take the vows.

very good explanation. examples are the Neocatechumenal Way, Focolare and others. these groups do not form on their own bat, or through a whim and must form and operate under the direction of the local bishop, with his approval and oversight (or in the case of Opus Dei, under the direct oversight of the Pope).

I am an lay Benedictine Oblate, as are others here, and we have many secular Franciscans and Carmelites as well. Benedictine Oblates are attached to a monastery where they join the monks or nuns regularly for prayer, instruction and work, specifically the Liturgy of the Hours, Lectio Divina (a way of reading and praying with the Sacred Scripture daily), instruction on living the Rule of St Benedict and applying it do daily life in the world, and supporting the mission and charism of the monastery (in our case pro-life witness and evangelism).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back