Seeking spiritual direction

• Thread starter Thread starter Tomosaki
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tomosaki

I have been having a few struggles with my faith and believe I need some guidance from a priest who is faithful to the Magisterium. I live in the diocese of Rockville Centre on Long Island NY, but don’t know how to go about finding a good spiritual director. A friend of mine has asked a few priests to be his spiritual director, but they have refused him. For those who are under spiritual direction, where did you find your priest? How often do you go for direction?

Find a good confessor – one who counsels you or delves into your sins and struggles to find reasons for behaviors and ways to help you. A good confessor is a spiritual director – even if they don’t think so.

Many priests don’t take on additional duties like spiritual direction – but any good confessor is a good director. Pray to the Holy Spirit to lead you to your confessor. God chooses them for us, sometimes.

In our Archdiocese, the parishes that offer more confessional times tend to have good confessors. I am graced at my praish by a wonderful pastor and confessor. Since I have private revelations from time to time, I thought he should know and so that I am not a loose cannon – so to speak.

I hope my info helps you. As one who has yearned for direction – I understand your plight. The Holy Spirit has helped me in leading me to a few good priests when I really needed them.

May Our Lady also aid you in your quest. She always wants to lead us to her Son.

40.png
Tomosaki:
I live in the diocese of Rockville Centre on Long Island NY, but don’t know how to go about finding a good spiritual director.
Here in our diocese, a spiritual director is a phone call away to the diocesan office. There’s a team of spiritual directors and you can meet with them one by one until you find one that suits you. Have you tried calling your diocesan office?

40.png
Tomosaki:
I have been having a few struggles with my faith and believe I need some guidance from a priest who is faithful to the Magisterium. I live in the diocese of Rockville Centre on Long Island NY, but don’t know how to go about finding a good spiritual director. A friend of mine has asked a few priests to be his spiritual director, but they have refused him. For those who are under spiritual direction, where did you find your priest? How often do you go for direction?
There are Legionaries in Thornwood, NY. Sign up for a Spiritual Exercises weekend; it includes spiritual direction. You won’t regret it! —KCT

40.png
KCT:
There are Legionaries in Thornwood, NY. Sign up for a Spiritual Exercises weekend; it includes spiritual direction. You won’t regret it! —KCT
Amen!

I have heard many great things about the Legionaries.

Maria

Not all priests are spiritual directors and not all spiritual directors are priests although many are. You can check the listing of spiritual directors with your diocese. They are specifically trained for this purpose. There are some religious who are spiritual directors, like nuns, brothers and lay ministers in the Emmaus ministry. The advantage of having a priest as a spiritual director is that he can listen to your confession and offer penance and absolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back