Seminary and discernment

• Thread starter Thread starter domineutvideam
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

domineutvideam

I was talking this weekend with a friend of mine who is in his second year of philosophy in the seminary this year. We were discussing discernment and he said:

“I certainly feel called to the priesthood but I don’t know at this point whether I will become a priest. I’m still discerning and through the seminary the Church is also discerning my vocation. When I go home people ask, “So, when will you be ordained?” Most people don’t understand that the seminary is a place for discernment. That being said, I have a profound peace and joy being in the seminary. I am happier than I have ever been before in my life. I am grateful for the spiritual and intellectual formation I am receiving in the seminary. Though I don’t know whether or not one day down the road I will be ordained a priest, I am confident that God wants me to be in the seminary right now and that’s all that matters.”

May God send us many more seminarians like this! I think it’s important that we remember that entering the seminary doesn’t mean that you’ll be ordained a priest. Keep this in mind when you’re talking to seminarians. They are in discernment.

I pray that many more young men who sense that God may be calling them to the priesthood, would seek to enter a seminary so that they would have the support and formation necessary to clearly discern this potential vocation.

It actually very hard on those discerning when the perception of the laity that when one goes into a Seminary, one would definitely become a Priest of religious. Such is just not the case. Discernment ends only at the moment of Ordination.

Yes. That was my point. People should be aware that the seminary is a place for discernment. I think that if that people in general understood this many more young men would have the courage to go to the seminary and discern. That fact that their parishes (not to mention their families!) would jump to the conclusion that they already “decided they want to be a priest” when they enter the seminary causes many young people with potential vocations to hold back from taking that step in discernment.

Recently I met up with a person discerning a vocation to the Carmelites, and its already been hard on him because many people have the forgone conclusion that he will become a religious/priest.

Recently I met up with a person discerning a vocation to the Carmelites, and its already been hard on him because many people have the forgone conclusion that he will become a religious/priest.
That’s still not bad, I just told my friends that I think God is calling me to be priest/religious, and now everyone is waiting when I’ll be ordained. After all, no one is really sure of God’s calling. Today I may feel that I’m called to priesthood, next year may be religious, i think that’s why discernment is very important.

It actually very hard on those discerning when the perception of the laity that when one goes into a Seminary, one would definitely become a Priest of religious. Such is just not the case. Discernment ends only at the moment of Ordination.
Yep. The rectory housekeeper in my old parish wouldn’t talk to me after I left seminary.

Actually, discernment never ends.

Before ordination one discerns whether or not one is called to be a Priest. After ordination what does one discern about?
Everything. 😉

Discernment does not only pertain to discerning one’s particular vocation. In fact, discernment does not primarily pertain to the question of one’s particular vocation. . . rather we should be constantly, daily, in everything we do, discerning God’s will.

And a hint to those discerning their vocation: it’s in discerning God’s will in the present moment, day by day, that he will ultimately lead you to your vocation. One step at a time.

Everything. 😉

Discernment does not only pertain to discerning one’s particular vocation. In fact, discernment does not primarily pertain to the question of one’s particular vocation. . . rather we should be constantly, daily, in everything we do, discerning God’s will.

And a hint to those discerning their vocation: it’s in discerning God’s will in the present moment, day by day, that he will ultimately lead you to your vocation. One step at a time.
Ah…yep this goes back to the definition of what discernment is all about.

I was talking this weekend with a friend of mine who is in his second year of philosophy in the seminary this year. We were discussing discernment and he said:

“I certainly feel called to the priesthood but I don’t know at this point whether I will become a priest. I’m still discerning and through the seminary the Church is also discerning my vocation. When I go home people ask, “So, when will you be ordained?” Most people don’t understand that the seminary is a place for discernment. That being said, I have a profound peace and joy being in the seminary. I am happier than I have ever been before in my life. I am grateful for the spiritual and intellectual formation I am receiving in the seminary. Though I don’t know whether or not one day down the road I will be ordained a priest, I am confident that God wants me to be in the seminary right now and that’s all that matters.”

May God send us many more seminarians like this! I think it’s important that we remember that entering the seminary doesn’t mean that you’ll be ordained a priest. Keep this in mind when you’re talking to seminarians. They are in discernment.

I pray that many more young men who sense that God may be calling them to the priesthood, would seek to enter a seminary so that they would have the support and formation necessary to clearly discern this potential vocation.
I agree and can relate. I spent five years studying and discerning a vocation in a diocesan seminary after college and 1 year of graduate school. Today I am a happily married layperson, and am active in serving God and others both in my parish and in the wider community. Pray that more men and women will respond to the call of God and the Church to discern their vocations, whether it be to priesthood, religious life, or as faithful and committed laypersons.

Everything. 😉

Obviously, discernment continues our whole life and discernment is not just about the religious life. It is about where and how we are called to live the life we are called to live.

Some after ordination and/or final vows discern that they are not to be where they are.

Discernment is a life long process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back