Senses of the Soul?

• Thread starter Thread starter Serpent_of_Paradise
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Serpent_of_Paradise

Do our souls and angels have senses, similar to the bodily senses we have?

Yes.

There are two ways to know this. One is that you can have an out-of-body experience yourself, and then you will perceive the reality of those senses directly.

(I will point out on that matter that many people, including me, have discovered in this way that our spiritual senses are largely deteriorated. I have had experiences out of the body where I found myself blind in the spiritual world, and I’ve spoken to other people with similar experiences. However, if you experience that, don’t interpret that to mean those senses do not or have never existed. It’s merely a reflection of our fallen nature, which can be rectified. Though that is a large topic, which we don’t need to get into here.)

The second way to know about the reality of the spiritual senses is from Scripture. Consider Rev 1:10, in which St. John describes his own experiences of being “in the spirit” and the things he both heard and saw in that state. Sights and sounds are perceived by senses.

So there you have it from St. John himself, describing all the things he heard and saw with the senses of his soul. There are other spiritual senses, too, beyond just the ones we associate with physical sensory phenomena, but that should be enough to answer your question at a basic level. 🙂

Last edited:
Do our souls and angels have senses, similar to the bodily senses we have?
The soul in humans is the spiritual immortal part that animates their body. Angels, in contrast, are pure spirit with no body and not dependant for existence or activity on matter. In humans sensation is only of material things whereas a thought may be about material reality but also about spiritual things; sensation is always a material way of knowing.

Last edited:
I don’t think so. A newly conceived embryo has a soul, but it does not (yet) have any senses. The senses arrive later as sense organs, nerves and the brain develop.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back