Separation from my church

  • Thread starter Thread starter amazingcatholic
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

amazingcatholic

Guest
I am 17 and a soon-to-be Catholic convert. My parents are Anglican and they are forcing me to go to their church. I had a conversation with my mother last night and she said I will never be able to separate from the people at my church, and if I do, then I am being ungrateful and unkind. She wants me to have a relationship with the people there and the pastor, she also wants me to be really involved with the church. I really do not want to have a relationship with the people there, however, I know I need to be charitable towards them and I have no problem doing so. My parents know that I want to be Catholic but don’t care whether or not I want to be involved. They want me to give money to their church or other things I am uncomfortable with. If I involve myself, I feel like I am living a lie. Should I still stay involved, or what should I tell my parents? Thanks!
 
Last edited:
I don’t see any reason that you should separate yourself from the people in your church, unless those relationships are extremely harmful or abusive. You can bide your time at your parents’ church. and continue to live a Christian life. You are not living a lie, you are on a journey toward the fullness of the faith and formal membership into the Church. This has got to be so hard for your parents. You don’t have to frame it as rejecting the Anglican Church, but rather embracing what you have been taught and even more.
 
Last edited:
Obey your parents.

And there is nothing wrong with having friendships with Anglicans.

I grew up in the Episcopal Church and my priest was a very strong influence on me. I have many family members who are EC. I love and respect them, I attend church when I visit them (and also go to Catholic mass).
 
Honor them for now and humor them. Give minimally to their church but give more to the Catholic one.

Once you are old enough and you can leave their authority, be unapologetically catholic in your everyday life. Constantly invite them to Jesus’ real church. Wear your brown scapular over your clothes when around them. Keep your rosary on you at all times. Hide green scapulars in there bed room (something you can do now actually). Things like that.
 
unapologetically catholic in your everyday life. Constantly invite them to Jesus’ real church. Wear your brown scapular over your clothes when around them. Keep your rosary on you at all times. Hide green scapulars in there bed room (something you can do now actually). Things like that.
Ya, I’d 100% not recommend this…especially any wording that puts down their church…unless, of course, you no longer want a relationship with your parents in the future.
 
I guess “unapologetically” catholic was a bit strong, but needed. I wasn’t implying that he be rude to the heretics, but that he be uncompromising in his faith. . . .
 
Last edited:
Flagged.

It is inappropriate to call the OPs family “heretics”. It is also inappropriate to encourage a minor to disobey parents.
 
I wasn’t implying that he be rude to the heretics
Interesting…calling his parents heretics.

OP, apparently as a heretic…🤔, I’d lay off calling them that too.
 
Last edited:
Amazingcatholic, you have obviously found a fullness of truth in the Catholic faith - otherwise you would not have taken the decision to convert. In recognising truth, you cannot (and should not) in any way deny it. As Christ showed, doing the Fathers will not only pleases Him but has a price. That said, Christ did not ostracise people from Himself - rather He sought out those who needed Him most. Therefore, I dont see why you should not continue cordial relationship with your current network and family and remain true to your new faith and beliefs. Yes - there will be tense and difficult conversations to have, but know that God does not leave you alone. He goes before you. Pray sincerely and watch (in awe!) as He does His work through your willingness to say yes to serve Him.
Know that many will be praying for you too.
God Bless always
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top