Set your minds on things above

• Thread starter Thread starter And1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

And1

Hello!
I know Colossians 3:2 says that we should set our minds on things above, but what does that actually mean?
Personally I like reading about different national Parks and seeing which ones I would like to visit. Or maybe just reading news to see what is happening in the world.
Does that count as being worldly or am I misinterpreting this verse. I have been avoiding these things because I feel like they are sins.
What do you think?

Colossians 3:2
He writes in subsequent sentences about the meaning which is to be filled with love and put off these things:
  • fornication, uncleanness, passion, evil desire, and covetousness, which is idolatry.
  • anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy language out of your mouth, lying

Ephesians 4:22-31

“You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; 23 to be made new in the attitude of your minds; 24 and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.”

25 Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to your neighbor, for we are all members of one body. 26 In your anger do not sin. Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry, 27 and do not give the devil a foothold. 28 Anyone who has been stealing must steal no longer, but must work, doing something useful with their own hands, that they may have something to share with those in need.

29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. 30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. 32 Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.”

I think this does a good job summing it up…Paul says to be made new in the attitude of our minds then says “Therefore…” and gives a long list of how to do that. I’d just try my best to do all of these things!

Last edited:
I do not see how it would be bad to enjoy God’s creation through national parks…In St. Faustina’s diary, she talks of appreciating His beauty through our surroundings, and Jesus’s response is awesome :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

“When I was at Kiekrz to replace one of the sisters for a short time, I went across the garden one afternoon and stopped on the shore of the lake; I stood there for a long time, contemplating my surroundings. Suddenly, I saw the Lord Jesus near me, and He graciously said to me, “All this I created for you, My spouse; and know that all this beauty is nothing compared to what I have prepared for you in eternity.” My soul was inundated with such consolation that I stayed there until evening, and it seemed to me like a brief moment.” (Diary 158)

Last edited:
we should set our minds on things above, but what does that actually mean?
It means prioritizing spiritual things above worldly things. Prayer, meditation, good works. Not full detachment of the world unless one has a vocation to be a cloistered religious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back