Seven Storey Mountain

• Thread starter Thread starter RNRobert
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RNRobert

I’m nearly finished reading The Seven Storey Mountain, the spiritual autobiography of Thomas Merton, a man who converted to Catholicism in the late 1930s and later became a Trappist monk and priest.

This is an awesome book. While it hasn’t made me want to become a monk, it has made me take my Catholic faith and practice more seriously. Has anyone else here read it?

Yes, it is a wonderful book. After reading this I became a real Merton “fan”. My library was filled with his books including all volumes of his unedited journals. When I became more aware of his less-than-orthodox ways as he grew older, I cleansed the book shelf. The only book I retained was this autobiography.

Micki

43 years ago I was given the book by a jewish friend who thought I might like it. Because of it, I began going to daily mass whenever possible. I’ve continued to this day.

I, too, was troubled by Thomas Merton’s later years, especially since he had such a following. Nonetheless, his “Seven Storey Mountain” changed my life and no doubt my eternity.

43 years ago I was given the book by a jewish friend who thought I might like it. Because of it, I began going to daily mass whenever possible. I’ve continued to this day.

I, too, was troubled by Thomas Merton’s later years, especially since he had such a following. Nonetheless, “The Seven Storey Mountain” changed my life and, no doubt, my eternity.

A great book! I read it just before I become Catholic 15 years ago. Like the others have said, one does have to be somehwat leary in reading his later stuff (say beyond the 1940s). Still, it is good stuff and more on the speculative side of things.

I read the first chapter of the book and then I heard about his unorthodoxness and I quit.

I’m curious to know how he became unorthodox as well. I thought the Church ENCOURAGED ecumenism. Is it his efforts toward ecumenism which make him unorthodox? I hope not…

Well, he had an affair when he was in his 60s with a 20-something woman. (It’s well-documented, and takes up the most part of one of his most recently published journals.) Towards the end of his life he became enamored with Zen Buddhism, to an extend that went far beyond mere ecumenism and into what appears to be relativism.

In addition to his admirable talent as a writer, I’ve always appreciated his apparent honesty regarding the struggles of religious life and his precarious position as both celebrity author and cloistured contemplative monk. At the same time, I was unnerved as a convert to find him still doubting, questioning and struggling with almost everything right up to the end of his life while presenting himself to the world and the Church as a steadfast spiritual guide.

I’ve never cared for Merton myself, at least beyond the insightful biographical level, but I have devout Catholic friends who were brought to the faith through Merton, so I think he remains an enigma.

40.png
maendem:
Well, he had an affair when he was in his 60s with a 20-something woman. (It’s well-documented, and takes up the most part of one of his most recently published journals.) Towards the end of his life he became enamored with Zen Buddhism, to an extend that went far beyond mere ecumenism and into what appears to be relativism.

In addition to his admirable talent as a writer, I’ve always appreciated his apparent honesty regarding the struggles of religious life and his precarious position as both celebrity author and cloistured contemplative monk. At the same time, I was unnerved as a convert to find him still doubting, questioning and struggling with almost everything right up to the end of his life while presenting himself to the world and the Church as a steadfast spiritual guide.

I’ve never cared for Merton myself, at least beyond the insightful biographical level, but I have devout Catholic friends who were brought to the faith through Merton, so I think he remains an enigma.
An affair? Heavens, no! That puts him right up there with about 80% of the American population (sources do vary on this). That doesn’t make it right, but Jesus did say to take the plank out of our eye before we take the splinter out of our brother’s. Besides, as far as I knew, his affair was never more than an “affair of the heart.” If you have evidence to the contrary, I would really like to see it. (I’m a big Merton fan)

As for Zen Buddhism, he never converted. He did study it indepth, perhaps more indepth than a lot of us would feel comfortable with, but he never left the Catholic faith. He studied monastic life in general, including Catholic monastics. If we were to be condemned for study or doubting, I think that would get a good deal of us all. If there is a person on this earth that can say they never had a doubt about anything concerning the faith, I hereby nominate them for canonization.

I think, from my study of Merton, the majority of his “problems” stem from his inability to achieve the solitude he so fervently desired. He studied monastic life in order to get a better feel for his own. In my opinion, he was too much of a “people person” to ever be a hermit. I think he was torn between the eremitic life and people, and that led to a lot of his angst. A great deal of his appeal as a writer is due in part to his asking the questions we all ask, and having the “guts” to put it into writing.

Having recently returned from a visit to the Abbey of Gethsemani, I was under the impression that he actually didn’t want a great deal of his work published. He didn’t want to be, nor did he claim he was, a “steadfast spiritual guide.” A good deal, if not most, of his works were published posthumously. He didn’t want the attention he got, but his kindness wouldn’t let him withdraw from those that came to him either.

I recently came across Merton’s book No Man is an Island at the local bookstore, and was tempted to pick it up next time I’m there. However, after reading some of these posts, I’m not so sure. Any comments?

40.png
RNRobert:
I recently came across Merton’s book No Man is an Island at the local bookstore, and was tempted to pick it up next time I’m there. However, after reading some of these posts, I’m not so sure. Any comments?
Absolutely! That’s one of my favorites. Regardless of how some may feel about Merton’s personal life, I don’t think anybody would tell you that his spirituality was lacking in any way, or that he was doctrinally unsound.

40.png
mhansen:
Regardless of how some may feel about Merton’s personal life, I don’t think anybody would tell you that his spirituality was lacking in any way, or that he was doctrinally unsound.
Point about the plank well taken, off course, but I hold to my original point. I would certainly construe the events of his private life (breaking his monastic vows and fornication) to demonstrate some spiritual problems. I do believe that your personal life and your spirituality are inseparably interconnected; that you can’t affect one without influencing the other. Do I condemn or judge him? Heavens no; at least I hope not. But I simply can’t look to him as a spiritual guide or role model for myself. Yes, maybe 80% of the rest of the American population has affairs, but most of them are not being looked to as Catholic theologians of authority.

And according to Merton, his affair was no mere “affair of the heart”. Read his own journal, “Learning to Love,” esp. the May 2 entry when he meets Margie at a hotel, I believe. (“We made love, and love, and love…”)

I do agree with your point about his quest for solitude, however.
Didn’t mean to come off all judgmental; just responding to those who asked why he’s not always considered orthodox.

I don’t really mean to bring this whole issue of Thomas Merton up again but I would like to clarify a few things for other readers who may come across this thread in the future.

It disturbs me greatly that such disparaging things have been said in this thread, and other threads, about a man who devoted his life to discovering “truth” wherever it may be found.

Merton was if anything “real”. He sure enough had his faults but he was also very conscious of them and often dispaired over them. Mention has been made in this thread of an “affair” that he had with Margie. Margie was a nurse who cared for him while he was recovering in the hospital. This was the first contact he had with a woman in many years and it is true that he fell madly in love with her. However, I think people have read more into the relationship as than what actually happened. He says himself that they*"'loved each other to ecstasy. It was beautiful, awesomely so, to love so much and to be loved, to be able to say it all completely without fear and without observation (not that we sexually consummated it)" *It seems pretty clear in his own words that he did not get involved with Margie to the point of sexual intercourse. This would not only have been a sin of fornication but a break of his vows of celibacy. If there is any man on this board who has not been tempted by flesh let him cast the first stone!

Even if Merton had committed fornication I still would value his writings, insight and spirituality. The attitude of some posters on here surprises me in that they feel, because he failed or inquired into things beyond the boundaries of Catholicism, that what he had to say is not valid or worthy of attention. I saw where one person says they even discarded his books because they heard he was not completely “orthodox”. All I can say is that if a persons failures keeps you from reading and learning from them then throw out your Bible because most of the writers of it had great failures. Some far worse then Thomas Mertons! King David for instance. He not only committed adultery but then even had the woman’s husband murdered. Yet would you stop reading the Psalms? You see the hypocrisy?

As I said earlier, and will repeat it again, is that if Merton was anything he was “real”. Read his letters and his journals and find out how real he was. I can tell you one thing. He was farther along the spirtual path than most of the posters in this thread including myself and I for one intend to use his writings to help me in my journey. I hope others will also.

Kevin

I was led into the Church in my late teens by Merton, specifically the Seven Storey Mountain, and I’ve read almost all his books and most of the volumes of his journals published in recent years.
Nothing I ever read about him ever put me off him, it only gave me a broader picture of the man behind the spiritual writer.
The positive influence he had (conversions to Catholicism, interest in the monastic life + vocations) far outweighed any “bad” influence his later actions and investigations might have had.
His recounting of the affair with Margie is very moving, and boy, could I identifiy with it.
Excuse me for being personal, but I too spent some years in a religious order; thought myself completely “safe” from any temptations of the flesh; would never have dreamed I could come unstuck. Nothing “happened”, just as in Merton’s case, but he recovered his equilibrium. I never pursued the relationship either, but I am a lay person now!
Consequently, I NEVER judge priests and religious who do leave for these reasons (as long as no abuse is involved, of course). Like Merton, I learnt a very valuable lesson about my fragility and my powerlessness if I turn my back on God.
The way Merton described his struggle and his torment over that affair should be read by all those who are quick to dismiss him as a bad egg.
I totally agree with the various posters who have defended him.

I read the Seven Storey Mountain when I was 17.Then the Sign of Jonas. Later two of the biographies devoted to his life, and parts of some of his later journals, including all of the Asian Journal [or whatever the name of it was.]

What I took from this was the following:

Merton was a complex human being…conflicted, really.
I think this conflict demonstrated itself in his need
for a monastic family that would not leave him, [an insight of one of his biographers] i.e., the additional vow of “stability”
taken by Trappists. Is the word “stability”? I can’t recall.

his sense of personal guilt, his genuine rejoicing in
having found, as a fairly young man, a way of life
[Trappists] that met both his spiritual and psychological
needs at age 26?].

Additionally, he needed the kind of solitude that
a man of thought needs, which his hermitage
finally allowed him.

My own assessment is that Merton confused his
need for solitude for intellectual reasons with
spiritual solitude.

It also seems to me that he was, concurrently,
an activist, a writer, a person who enjoyed being
with people, particularly as he aged, a man who wanted to
reach out with his later writings, to share what
he was experiencing.

I’ve spent 25 years reading Eastern thought. I
think I have some insight into where Merton was
in his spiritual journey. I, for one, am sorry that
his life was cut short.

It is my guess, and it’s only a guess, that if he
had lived a longer life, we might have seen a
Merton transformed…a man who might have
synthesized what he saw from the Eastern perspective,
with the faith he embraced as a young man.

One final thought: It never struck me that Merton
was, by nature, a man given to what Westerners
would call “logic”. He never seemed to draw out
the logical inferences from much of what he
put forth. But then, that’s just my take on his writings.

As to his human failings, God alone knows, and
God sees a whole life, the early circumstances of
that life, the pressures that may build from early
experiences, and weighs these with a Father’s love,
and if called for, forgiveness.

To put it in the vernacular: Merton was a singularity.

reen12

The early Merton was quite orthodox. Seven Story Mountain, The Waters of Siloe, the Silent Life, Seeds of Contemplation are all quite good. Seven Story continues to bring in converts to this day. It helped me along. I think it helps explain the problems he had later in life.

I have always been mezmerized by monks and friars. There were Franciscan Brothers who used to walk around my neighborhood of South Boston when I was a kid and they really impressed me. Then there was a ‘kung fu’ Monk on television, though he wasn’t a Catholic he was still cool; then there was the Monk from Chicago I met in Navy bootcamp at GreatLakes who took a leave from his order to see the world and I have never forgotten him.

The little I have read of Thomas Merton was a bit of a let down.

I really bet that if I became a Catholic Monk I could accomplish something - spreading the much needed word of God and some writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back