Seventh-day Adventist to Catholic: Advice?

• Thread starter Thread starter roseprince
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

roseprince

I was wondering if anyone had any advice on converting to Catholicism in an unaccepting family. My family raised me strictly Seventh-day Adventist but now that I’m older I’ve done my reading and I really want to be confirmed into the Catholic church soon. I’m still young and I live at home still so I’ve been secretly attending Mass & RCIA when I can. The SDA church teaches very anti-Catholic doctrines and my parents genuinely believe the church is evil & that the Pope is the anti-Christ. Is it wrong for me to hide my new beliefs? I want to share my love for the Catholic church but I’m afraid of what might happen at home. Any advice is appreciated.

I don’t know how old you are, but it sounds like you are old enough to make your own decision about religion. Congratulations on following the prompting of the Holy Spirit toward Catholicism! Certainly continue to pray and study about the faith, and God will lead you. You could tell your parents that you are studying the Catholic faith and see what the reaction is. It may not be what you think. However, you may find that as long as you are under their roof you will need to keep your interest in the Catholic faith quiet. The one thing you don’t want to do is “push” it on them, or be defiant. That usually just makes the situation worse. We will pray for you!

There are a number of Seventh Day Adventist to Catholic stories on the Journey Home. Have you seen them? Here’s just one:

Last edited:
Your desire to be Catholic goes a ling way in God’s eyes. Even if you are not able to join officially, God understands and you can still live the faith of love and kindness.

Peace and prayers!!!

My advice, do not announce your intention to become Catholic while you live under your parents’ roof.

Converting from SDA is not easy, doing so when your room and board depends on staunch Adventists may be impossible.

The first thing (assuming you are legally an adult) is to become involved at your parish as soon as you can. As you know, you may be cut off by all of your family and SDA friends, so, that community and fellowship will become a hole that needs to be filled.

Over two years, I sponsored 7 SDAs into the Church. Since then, all but two of them have stopped practicing any faith at all and the other two are wavering. It is not an easy path.

Be strong, do not give in to despair, be kind and loving to your family.

Pray much, love your family with the love of Our Lord Jesus Christ, and continue to learn about the Catholic faith. It will be easier when you are old enough to be on your own, than when you are dependent on them.

I agree with thelittlelady in that while you are living at home I would continue to honor your parents and not announce what you’re in the process of. That said Tim Staples produced a 4 CD set called “The Great Disappointment” which covers I think 7 or 8 errors of SDA theology. This CD set really digs into the theological errors which might come in handy later when you can share the Catholic truth with your family.

Tim Staples walks through how the SDA’s teach that God The Father has a body of flesh with organs and bones and also how they teach that Jesus could have sinned which are both against Scripture’s teaching on the subject. Staples also covers the Sabbath question which is a big deal for the SDA’s. Its powerful information that you can put on your smartphone and listen to it on your headphones.

Best wishes and so glad you are finding your way home.

Well I think the SDA baptised you in the Trinity father son and Holy spirit. So you are a Catholic thru baptism. But are a “separated brother”
The latest information I have seen indicates that SDA baptism is “doubtful”, meaning that the baptism practices are not uniform between communities, so each case must be investigated individually. The page was marked as 2014, so there may be newer guidance.

I am not familiar with your specific church or the teachings which take place within it, but find that the anti Catholic and anti Papal feelings might not go with the overall teachings of the SDA.

I do know some SDA, and have no issues with them, nor them with me being Catholic. We each look on one another in how we act towards others and carry ourselves in daily life.

With that being said, whether or not you let your parents know you are interested in becoming Catholic is up to you. I would suggest that if the time does come to let them know that you are prepared. In that I mean that you know why you want to change. You will need to give them reasons for your decision and what has caused you to leave the SDA church. I might add that this should be done without denigrating the SDA church. The conversation won’t go well if you only have the ability to state the SDA are wrong because if X,Y,Z.

You will be better served by saying the Catholic Church calls me because of X,Y,Z,.

Here is a link to an apology to Pope Francis. So this is why I am not sure of why your church would be teaching or harboring feelings against the Catholic Church. This guy seems reasonable, and in general not anti Catholic.

https://atoday.org/a-proposed-lette...general-conference-of-seventh-day-adventists/

Of all churches, I have some serious issues with SDA beliefs. They are way off the mark on a host of issues and would stay away. It’s just ridiculous to teach that the ‘mark of the beast’ is a national Sunday Law. There’s more heresy in SDA theology than any church I know because they believe Ellen G. White is a prophetess. I deal better with Mormons.

For several years I attended a near by Seventh Day Adventist Church. The wonderful sweet Pastor had been raised Catholic 🙂 He was a fountain of wisdom and kind counsel. Ellen G White’s teachings of healthy eating and living were more enlightened than the medical doctors of her time.
I found that some old fashioned Adventists are strongly Anti Catholic, but not all. There are plenty of Adventist teachings which are identical to Catholicism. And a few are not …
You will have to follow your own conscience as to what to tell your parents, and when. You are expanding your spiritual walk, and they probably won’t understand. Sounds like you are doing well, exploring and learning on your own.

Show me a single document, that says that early Christians believed that The Mark of the Beast was Sunday worship, from the 1st to 4th century. They didn’t.

I’m not saying early Christians believed Sunday worship was the mark, I’m saying SDA theology - 'Ellen G. White - teaches that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back