Shepherding Techniques in Ancient Israel?

  • Thread starter Thread starter TimothyH
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TimothyH

Guest
Another thread about Jesus being the irrepsonsible Shepherd got me thinking about shepherding techniques in ancient Israel.

I’m wondering if a greater understanding of the shepherds, sheep and shepherding techniques in ancient Israil would shed some light on Jesus’ own words and those of the various human authors of Scripture. So, here is the wierd question of the week…

Anyone know of a source of information on ancient israelite shepherding techinquess?

I’m sure they dressed in red robes, wore big pointy hats and… no seriously, any information would be appreciated.

-Tim-
 
I’m afraid I don’t have a source but I was told years ago (by a bishop, as it happens - although I think it may have been while he was just a parish priest . . .) that in Palestine the shepherd would lead his sheep, calling them to follow - as compared with the image we tend to have from the British Isles of the shepherd following the flock, often with the help of a dog to keep the sheep together.
 
I don’t know about shepherding techniques in Ancient Isreal but my family raises sheep and as the previous poster said you LEAD sheep and they follow. You CANNOT and DO NOT herd them. It just doesn’t work out very well.

Sheep are great! When my sister takes me out to her flock she calls out and they come running! it’s a fuzzy stampede. And then they’re all over you and nipping at your clothing. 🙂 It’s great fun.

Anyway, I imagine the techniques used in Ancient Israel wouldn’t be too different from techniques used in modern Israel?
 
there actually was an issue of National Geographic a couple of years ago devoted to that very thing, and the point was the pictures and article depicted Bedouins who today herd sheep very much the same way as it was in Jesus’ day, if you can search for it, it was a beautiful article (surprise surprise considering the source)
 
I’d ask a Bedouin shepherd. In the meantime you can see a technique on Youtube. Should this really be in the Sacred Scripture sub-forum?
 
I’d ask a Bedouin shepherd. In the meantime you can see a technique on Youtube. Should this really be in the Sacred Scripture sub-forum?
Thanks for the link codey. I appreciate your thoughtfullness in posting to my original question and the fact that you took the time to look up that video.

May the peace of Christ be with you.

-Tim-
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top