Shopping on a Sunday?

• Thread starter Thread starter KyrieVarLee
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

KyrieVarLee

Is going shopping on a Sunday a mortal sin?

Today my husband and I went to the store (though only he went in) to grab some food for lunch and dinner. It was a quick trip, and he used self checkout so as not to require anyone to serve him. We didn’t need the food he got, just wanted these particular foods for our meals (we have sufficient food in the house).

Anyway, a priest awhile ago told me that shopping on a Sunday is a venial sin, so I try not to frequent stores or businesses on Sundays, but still do from time to time, and if I do, I make sure it’s quick. I knew this upon our visit, and willingly sinning, even venial, is damaging to the soul. So next Sunday I will try better to stay away from businesses. Anyway, this got me thinking, could it ever be a mortal sin to shop on a Sunday? Would it just be more than a few hours of shopping? Or shopping that causes excessive work for others? I’m curious to hear your opinions!

Last edited:
This is a topic that has come up often on Catholic Answers.
People want to chat about stuff which is fine by me. However, when anyone types in a topic, a box with similar topics come up on the right. I’m not sure why people appear to ignore it on a variety of things. I’m not trying to be rude. I think it’s a great feature available on here. Anyway, Shopping on Sunday has this come up…

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back