Shopping on Sundays

  • Thread starter Thread starter AveMaria12
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AveMaria12

Guest
Is it a sin to shop on Sunday’s if there isn’t a dire need?:confused: Thanks for your (name removed by moderator)ut.
 
It’s not a sin.

You’re not supposed to do activities that detract from Sunday rest and honoring God, and you’re not supposed to oblige other people to work on Sunday. How you decide to do that is your prudent decision to make. Whatever you do or are forced to do, you’re supposed to maintain a Sunday joy in the Lord’s generosity to us.

I’ve seen Vatican documents that specify that it’s not wrong to, say, go out for dinner on Sunday, since it’s a wide custom. But they want you to think about what you choose to do.
 
Dire need or out of milk, I often do it! Actually, I sometimes find shopping recreational… As I point out to DH, there is a difference between shopping and buying. Shopping is more just looking around! 🙂
 
Well it is not considered a sin but sometimes shopping distracts you from God and rest that it may be.
Gods intention was to keep his day holy and to rest in his arms.Not to be distracted and careless about him.
But its not a sin if you think about God while you shop nor is it a sin to not think about God when you shop.
But remember never stop thinking about God.

SIncerely,
Ad Infinitum:thumbsup:
 
Printed ‘examination of conscience’ ask questions to help you determine sins to confess, among those some include “Have you done unnecessary shopping on the Sabbath or Holy Days?”. Only you can determine if shopping on Sundays is sinful in your life.

In our home, we made the decision to stop shopping on Sundays in hopes of a more quiet day, reminiscent of “the good old days”. We are not a contributor to others working on Sunday. Two new restaurants came to our town. They serve the same cuisine, one is closed on Sunday and the other is open 7 days a week. We chose to only support the one closed on Sunday, we have been rather outspoken about our choice in our circle of friends. Now, the one closed on Sunday has nearly all the business, maybe it’s a coincidence or maybe not. My point is that others are influenced by our actions and choices. Not shopping on Sunday was rather inconvenient at first, but with a little planning became easy. This choice has made our Sundays more relaxed and it’s funny how many things are “unnecessary”.😃

Shopping on Sunday is a personal issue for you and your priest or spiritual director. I do not force my opinion onto others, I only share to give insight to things I have found.
 
its not a Sin persay…unless of course it is taking the place of Sunday Mass.

If its for a necessity such as diapers or a gallon of milk…not a sin I would say.
 
Thank-you everyone. In my perspective, it is not a good thing to do, since it encourages working on Sunday. Necessities are necessities, though, however. But what does one mean by necessities?

One can survive without food, water, or shelter for at least 3 days. What does one mean by necessities?:confused:
 
I really wish no one had to work on Sundays. I wish it was a day for church and families coming together and making a home-made meal. I wish the domestic church still had a day made specifically for families to break bread together and focus on the cohesive family unit. It seems that society isn’t really into that anymore.

Maybe I just have dated values though.

Ite in pace,
Joshua C.
 
If its for a necessity such as diapers or a gallon of milk…not a sin I would say.
True, sometimes you run out of things on Sunday even if you did have plenty, you have a hectic week (I often come home from a business trip very late on Saturday and sometimes there’s no one else who can do the shopping, but that is very rare, or we have to work all day during the week), other things happen, but sometimes these are just excuses. Didn’t you know you would need extra milk for Sunday? Can you avoid using it that one day? If it’s bread, can you make it yourself? (It’s not that difficult actually.)
I really miss the time when it wasn’t allowed to keep shops open on Sundays, it felt so peaceful and special, so different from other days. Now Sunday family time turns into coffee at the mall, so awful.
We do our best to plan Sunday meals and needs on Friday and Saturday, so we can enjoy our Sunday and do our best to let everyone else have theirs.
 
True, sometimes you run out of things on Sunday even if you did have plenty, you have a hectic week (I often come home from a business trip very late on Saturday and sometimes there’s no one else who can do the shopping, but that is very rare, or we have to work all day during the week), other things happen, but sometimes these are just excuses. Didn’t you know you would need extra milk for Sunday? Can you avoid using it that one day? If it’s bread, can you make it yourself? (It’s not that difficult actually.)
I really miss the time when it wasn’t allowed to keep shops open on Sundays, it felt so peaceful and special, so different from other days. Now Sunday family time turns into coffee at the mall, so awful.
We do our best to plan Sunday meals and needs on Friday and Saturday, so we can enjoy our Sunday and do our best to let everyone else have theirs.
That’s great. I too really wish that. Soooo…Is it a sin???🤷
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top