Short Confession Lines

• Thread starter Thread starter WhiteDove
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WhiteDove

I used to go to confession once or twice a year. Now I’ve started going every month or two. So, I’ve become familiar with who goes to confession and who doesn’t, at least at the regular times offered.

Basically, very few people do. And, the ones who do are very devout and/or old. And, I attend a church in a relatively conservative and old fashioned area.

Even when I went twice a year at specially offered times, the percentage of folks who showed up was relatively slim in comparison to the over all communicants. Then, at Easter, a bunch of new faces showed up with kids who acted like they have rarely stepped into a church and an old lady friend of mine whispered to me “I wonder if they all went to confession?”. All these folks received communion.

Now, I’ve started to look at confession as an important tool in my spritual walk. But, at the very least folks ought to be following the rules and going to confession if they’ve commited a mortal sin. Definately they ought to go during Lent, right? And, if they are returning to church after an absence they ought to clear that up in confession before receiving. Yet, I never hear it mentioned from the pulpit. What gives???

Lack of education. Something can’t be a mortal sin unless someone knows the grave nature of a matter. A mortal sin requires full consent, and a lack of knowledge of its evil matter can change its mortal nature. Now things get sticky if someone has knowledge of the gravity of a matter, and consents to it anyways. The church still has no power to refuse communion to such an individual, as it would be making a judgement on someone that is not in a state of grave, manifest sin. Essentially, it is important for the local pastor to educate and encourage further education outside of mass, that people will understand the importance of being as pure as possible for Jesus in the Eucharist.
God Bless,

Justin

When I see DROVES of folks in confession line just before Christmas Holidays…and hardly ANY in line thru-out the rest of the year…tells me that people are practicing the just enough to get by routine… and that may be enough…but unless once or twice a year folks are SAINTS in hiding, they’re running a risk of some severe purgatory time. 😦

One thing I’d like the church to change is this once a year confession stuff… this is not enough ESPECIALLY in this day and age… its a dangerous disservice to Catholics who dont know better…we are fallen creatures and will ALMOST always do the MINIMUM of ANYTHING in order to “get by”…be it work, faith, etc…

Many Catholics are not even going to Confession once a year. I’ve talked to some that never go. I think they don’t believe in the sacrament any more. It’s not ‘relevant’ to them. I believe most of them have accepted the Protestant view on forgiveness. I’ve heard the percentage of Catholics who use confession at all is low. I’d like to see some statistics, if anyone has any…

Churches should open up the “booths” before Mass, and heck even during mass, maybe more people will go then.

I go to a parish made up almost entirely of students at a public university and the lines are always TOO LONG. Please pray that God will continue to bless us with that “problem”!

Faithful 2 Rome:
When I see DROVES of folks in confession line just before Christmas Holidays…and hardly ANY in line thru-out the rest of the year…tells me that people are practicing the just enough to get by routine… and that may be enough…but unless once or twice a year folks are SAINTS in hiding, they’re running a risk of some severe purgatory time. 😦
And I don’t recall any Saints who only went once or twice a year. If I remember right, they all made frequent confessions.

40.png
SwordofLight:
Churches should open up the “booths” before Mass, and heck even during mass, maybe more people will go then.
I sometimes attend Mass at a parish that does do this. There is a priest in the reconcilliation room from 15 - 30 minutes before Mass until the Homily. The lines are generally long. (And this is in addition to weekday (9:00 - 5:00) confessions and Saturday morning confessions.

I can’t say I like standing in long lines - but, I would rather see long lines than see nobody going to confession. Besides, I always try to be early enough to be among the first in line. (Even if it means getting there an hour before Mass begins.)

John

In the parish where I grew up, confessions were always done before Masses. Where I am now, you have to make an extra effort to get to Confession during the designated times on Saturday afternoon or Tuesday/Thursday evening. I agree, if Sunday confessions were readily available again, more people would take advantage.

There are always long lines at my home parish (1 priest) and another parish I frequent for confession (3 priests). Funny they never seem to last longer that it takes to pray a Rosary. And nobody ever minds waiting. I guess we all realize how fortunate we are to have a priest in the confessional.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back