I
insideitall
Guest
to get back on track here…
I think if the priest is sick enough where he’s obviously been coughing into his hand, or has been handling a snot rag, then he absolutely should not be handing out communion.
as far as using hand sanitizer goes, that stuff only works if it’s got a minimum alcohol content of at least 60% (dollar store brands often contain less), and enough of it needs to be used so that the hands are wet completely and it takes a good 20 seconds of rubbing to dry them. I’m willing to bet that the vast majority of people do not use the stuff properly. in addition, hand sanitizer only works against bacteria. colds, and a good portion of other upper respiratory illnesses (like bronchitis and pneumonia) are caused by viruses. not only that, but people spread the virus before they show symptoms. so yeah, the alcohol will kill any bacteria on your hands, but if you’re incubating a cold, it won’t help a bit. as far as passing colds back and forth, that generally doesn’t happen. there are so many different cold viruses out there that pretty much each time you get a cold it’s a different strain - once someone passes it to you, you can’t pass it back to them.
the last parish I attended put a ban on the sign of peace/distributing the cup for all of “flu season.”
actually, the priest is the first one to drink from the chalice. which ties in with my first point; if the parish distributes the cup to the congregation, and there’s not more than one available, he should not be drinking from it while sick.
I shouldn’t have been surprised, but I was, reading that people think being a priest is a “get out of life free” card… oy vey…
I think if the priest is sick enough where he’s obviously been coughing into his hand, or has been handling a snot rag, then he absolutely should not be handing out communion.
as far as using hand sanitizer goes, that stuff only works if it’s got a minimum alcohol content of at least 60% (dollar store brands often contain less), and enough of it needs to be used so that the hands are wet completely and it takes a good 20 seconds of rubbing to dry them. I’m willing to bet that the vast majority of people do not use the stuff properly. in addition, hand sanitizer only works against bacteria. colds, and a good portion of other upper respiratory illnesses (like bronchitis and pneumonia) are caused by viruses. not only that, but people spread the virus before they show symptoms. so yeah, the alcohol will kill any bacteria on your hands, but if you’re incubating a cold, it won’t help a bit. as far as passing colds back and forth, that generally doesn’t happen. there are so many different cold viruses out there that pretty much each time you get a cold it’s a different strain - once someone passes it to you, you can’t pass it back to them.
the last parish I attended put a ban on the sign of peace/distributing the cup for all of “flu season.”
actually, the priest is the first one to drink from the chalice. which ties in with my first point; if the parish distributes the cup to the congregation, and there’s not more than one available, he should not be drinking from it while sick.
I shouldn’t have been surprised, but I was, reading that people think being a priest is a “get out of life free” card… oy vey…