Should I attend Mass or Communion Service?

• Thread starter Thread starter milimac
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

milimac

I have attended daily Mass for at least 2 years at a parish near my home that has 2 daily Masses. One of the priests is being reassigned, so the earlier commuter Mass that I attend will now mostly be replaced with communion services with an occasional Mass. There are 2 of us laymen who have done communion services in the past, as well as having served as sacristan or lector for the Masses.

There is also a daily Mass at another parish near my workplace. The timing of this Mass is such that I would be able to add a workout to my daily routine – something I really want to do so I’m in better shape and have more energy to do things with my children. I see it as something beneficial in my vocation as a father and husband.

However, I fear I may leave my home parish short-handed.

What is your recommendation?: Should I attend Mass at the new parish or continue to attend my home parish and assist with communion services?

40.png
milimac:
. . .

What is your recommendation?: Should I attend Mass at the new parish or continue to attend my home parish and assist with communion services?
Once a year all priests in our diocese go on retreat with the Bishops for a week [5 days]. During that time we have Communion services. However sometimes a nearby church run by the Franciscans has mass.

One year a seminarian friend was running the Communion service. He was distressed that I didn’t come. I told him “*Next year after you are ordained. Meanwhile I am not going to pass up a banquet down the street to come to you for a picnic.” 😃

Why not invite all the parishioners at your home church to go to a real Mass?

I am sure that you would receive many more graces by being present during the Holy Sacrifice rather than a communion service.

Thanks for your replies. My belief is that it is still Jesus that is received in a Communion Service and not “Jesus-lite”, although a Mass re-presents the sacrifice and is preferrable.

My dilemma is that if I go to Mass at another parish, the earlier service at my parish may be cancelled, and many commuters who currently enjoy a daily communion service or occasional Mass won’t have either.

Like all things…Pray, pray and pray some more. Pray for vocation so that all our churches once again can receive the fullness of daily mass. However, sadly, I think that America is becoming more and more a mission country, rather than a country that sends missionaries to other countries. There definitely is a call to vocation here, God hasn’t stopped calling people to his service. People just are not responding. Let’s all join our prayers for the increase of people accepting the religious calling to the priesthood, diaconate etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back