Should I be concerned by this? Neocathechumenal Way issue

• Thread starter Thread starter GeorgeofLydda
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

GeorgeofLydda

I’m turning 18 soon and moving out to college in a couple of weeks. My whole family (parents and siblings) and I are in the Neocathechumenal Way.

I assume you know the basics on how the Way works, but anyways: you basically have two weekly meetings, a monthly, all-day Sunday retreat and peculiar Mass celebrations on Sunday Vespers; and you do all of this within a “community” of about 40 people. As you can guess, it is quite demanding, and members are even encouraged to risk their jobs, school, exams, etc to assist the meetings etc (we call it a way of trusting in God’s Providence). There’s something called “the tripod” and it is God’s Word (weekly meetings), liturgy (Saturday’s Eucharist with the community) and community (monthly retreats). There’s a strong emphasis on doing the whole tripod at the same time, you must be able to a attend all the events, and everything that prevents you from assisting is considered an “idol”.

My mom asked me what am I going to do regarding the “community” (since I am moving out and it would be impossible for me to walk in my current community). She suggested me to find another “community” there and walk with them. I said that I’d rather not, since it would be quite difficult for me to “walk” and study at the same time (college would be considered an idol then).

I proposed that I would find another group in the parish I’ll move to, a group whose schedules don’t create conflict with my studies (a Rosary or Juvenile group for example). It seems like this bothered her, and expressed her disapproval. She confronted me like I was quitting the Church or committing apostasy. I said that there are many groups/charisms/movements within the Church I could attend, that the Way is not the only way of spiritual growing and the Church is much bigger than that, I reminded her that it is not mandatory for catholics to be in the Way. She then told to me that if I am not in the Way I wouldn’t receive its “graces”. She seems to be accepting my words though, and we haven´t talked about this anymore since then.

There’s a common belief among neocats that the devil tempts you to quit the Way and an explicit idea that it was God that called you to it. This could make you think that if you quit, you can’t be saved (there’s one rite where all the members write their names in the “Book of Life”, a big bible). When I was considering whether to quit, I felt guilty of it (not anymore now).

In my opinion, the Way may be helpful for the spiritual life of many (my family is quite religious mostly because of it), but there are some things I disagree with like the teachings on reason (considered evil), the “peculiar distinction” from the rest of the parish (my mom made me dress more elegant when attending neocat’s Eucharist than when attending regular Masses…) Anyways, I think I don’t belong to the Way. I only entered to please my parents.

Should I be concerned about the behaviour of my mother? I am afraid about her thinking that I am in the process of becoming atheist (my older brother did this at my current age, thanks to God he’s returned to the Church) just because I’m quitting the community. What are your thoughts on the Way?

Do what you need to do to nurture your faith while in school. Many people in various groups think their preferences are the best or only way to receive certain graces or be assured salvation, but it seems you have some sense about you and know what’s what. Find what works for you, and people will either see that you’re still a faithful Catholic or they’ll get bogged down by the plank in their own eye - but that’s not on you.

Sounds like a cult, to be honest. Not necessarily for to what goes on while you are participating in it (I don’t have enough information to have an opinion on that), but because of the behavior sent in your direction when you attempt to leave. I would disengage asap. There are better groups you can be a part of.

Last edited:
The Way isn’t the only way to be a good Catholic.
If you want to quit, quit.
I myself would never join it (I also feel it is similar to a cult and i dont like that they dont want non-Way members at some Masses) and it’s not a vocation to be part of it; you’re allowed to walk away.

As for conflict with your mom, you’re not leaving the Church, so your faith and morals aren’t at stake. Once that issue is set aside, parents need to accept that their kids’ preferred Catholic worship style might not be like their own. There is nothing especially magic about the Way, or the TLM, or the folk Mass, or the charismatic movement. All these things work for some people, not for others. We are free to find what works for ourselves as Catholic adults, as long as the Church allows our choice.

Last edited:
Thank you for your answers. I would like to quit, no matter what. But there’s something. It’s becoming painful. Every time my mother yells that I’m having evil/dangerous ideas because of college or whatever, I feel hurt. I don’t have the courage to argue with her, so I remain silent and never answer her back. I’m so afraid of this! Why does this happens?

Shouldn’t God’s ways be walked with freedom? It is not like I’m committing apostasy, leaving the church or rejecting my faith!. I’m feeling a strong interest on the Divine Mercy and St. Faustina Kowalksa. This is my particular interest, not the Neocat Way. This whole thing shouldn’t be supposed to be painful.

I am planning a meeting with my parish priest to talk about this. The only thing that comforts me for now are the words of pope Francis, he told to the Neocat’s Leaders (among other things in a speech):

“No one’s freedom must be forced, and it must be respected the eventual choice of those who decide to look, out of the Way, for other forms of christian life that may help him to grow in the answer to the Lord’s call.”
http://www.vatican.va/content/franc...ancesco_20140201_cammino-neocatecumenale.html (in Italian)

I may seem to be overcomplicating things, but believe me, it is not that easy to quit the Way. Too much psychological pressure. How is this allowed to happen within the Church? If it were that easy to disengage, I would have already left. Please, understand it. Thank you!

Last edited:
I have no idea how it’s allowed in the Church to be honest. It disturbs me.

You are right. God’s way should be walked with freedom. For example when the angel Gabriel went to the Blessed Virgin, he proposed to her that God wanted to become incarnate in her womb. He waited for her answer because he did not impose it on her as a requirement. When she said her Fiat, she was giving her consent freely.

believe me, it is not that easy to quit the Way. Too much psychological pressure. How is this allowed to happen within the Church? If it were that easy to disengage, I would have already left. Please, understand it. Thank you!
This is precisely why a lot of Catholics, including myself, do not like The Way and consider it to be cult-like, because we hear these stories like yours. The Way, like tons of other lay movements (Focolare, Cursillo, Opus Dei etc) is supposed to help people in spiritual development and be a channel for Catholic education and evangelization. It’s not some religious order to which you take vows or make a lifetime commitment. People should be free to leave at any time if they find the program isn’t working for them, or isn’t working for them any more. We are not required to belong to one of these movements in order to be good Catholics or even to be saints.

As for “how is this allowed to happen within the Church”, I presume it happens because some people get spiritual benefit out of participating in such groups, so the groups are allowed to continue. A large number of them seem to come from Italy or Spain and I’ve wondered if there is something in those cultures that fosters such groups, because in the US we put a lot of emphasis on individual choice and most people, including most Catholics, would frown on a group that was being coercive, not letting people leave freely, or putting the group ahead of someone’s school/ work etc.

Last edited:
I have mixed feelings. As to the “cultish” aspects, I believe that varies by group. At our parish, the Neocats are involved in other parish activities, and I have some friends who are members and are really, really good people.

OTOH, I don’t like many aspects of it: their liturgy, I don’t think they should have separate Easter vigil masses. They were told to participate in normal parish masses once a month, and from what I know they have universally skirted this requirement by just claiming their mass is one of the parish masses (even though they friend on non-members attending). And this whole idea of returning to early Christian practices is questionable in my mind, as we really don’t know that much about early Christian communities.

They are rather unique in the Church. I have always stated the Church is many ways for people to work towards holiness, and I suppose this us one of them. But I suspect if I ever had to attend one of their masses, I would become much more negatively inclined towards them.

They tried twice to get it started at our parish, and both attempts ended in failure. My thread on that subject (started under the old CAF system) is still extant; the Cliff Notes version is that I did not find it edifying at all.

If you want the long version:
40.png
Pastor bringing in Neocatechumenal Way; what should I know? Liturgy and Sacraments
Basically, he said that they had been looking for a “program” to increase the level of adult catechesis, and had decided on NCW.
D

I’m 53. I’ve started “walking” with the Neocatechumenal Way community at my parish for five years now.

To be frank, I think your parents are strict. I’ve been with other ministries, and they get clique and demanding all the time. And if you think The Way is demanding, just wait until you get married, and have kids, and a dog, and maybe some chickens.

I can tell you that not all parents are alike. As far as idols, they can be anything: money, work, school. Just ask a wife upset at her husband because he works all the time. This talk about cults: cults usually teach you to believe and do things that are contrary to the Church’s teachings. I don’t see any of that. Perhaps it’s because you are young. I’ve seen many youth leave the Way and come back. Others stay away. And the same happens in other ministries. But it’s not because it’s a cult. Give me break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back