Should I become a Franciscan Tertiary?

• Thread starter Thread starter wOoKiE
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wOoKiE

Can anyone give me a bit of guidance here? My spiritual director (a jesuit) mentioned that I should consider becoming a Franciscan Tertiary due to certain cirumstances and incidents in my past. Unfortunately he didn’t have any info on what that entails.
Could anyone help? Does it take a lot of time (I’m a very busy man at the moment) are there any rules I should know of?

I thought I’d ask it here first before going to the Franciscans and making a fool of myself! 🙂

Thanks!

It does take some commitment. During the formation process, you would be expected to study some lessons and meet with a formation director individually or perhaps as a group if several candidates are in formation at the same time. Most importantly, do you feel called to be a third order/secular order Franciscan? There are other third orders too, like the Carmelites. In most Secular Franciscan Orders, the meetings are held once at month so you would at least need to be able to commit to that. Is there a Franciscan Secular Order that meets within a reasonable distance to you?

Here is a link that describes the Secular Franciscan Order in the USA: nafra-sfo.org/

I don’t know if this is still current but when I looked up the SFO in Australia, I found this info:
National Council
Helen Britton, Min. Naz.
100 Fletcher Str.
WOOLLAHRA, NSW 2025
Australia

Tel: +61-2-93890857
Fax: +61-2-82513041
E-mail: helen_b100@hotmail.com

*👋 Good Luck on your spiritual journey. *

Thanks for the info John and Blanka!

Still mulling it over, but I’m pretty sure it would be Franciscan, even though I live next door to a Carmelite Monastery 🙂

By the way, I live in Malta, so everything is within a reasonable distance from me!

Any Franciscan Tertiaries out there? Care to share your experiences?

There are many old threads on this site about lay Third Orders. There are also Third Order Regular priests and nuns. It can get confusing so the lay part was changed to “Secular.” Being in one of these orders can be a great help to you in your spiritual journey. I was a Secular Franciscan way before I became a deacon. The charism to live the Gospel life in the footsteps of St. Francis just like our faith takes the rest of your life in on going formation. You make promises upon profession that are permanent, but not under penalty of sin. You will meet some very holy and dedicated people that you can discuss your faith journey with. They will pray for you and encourage you in your daily work and ministries.God bless you,
Deacon Tony

since you already have a spiritual director the best advice is to follow his guidance, he knows you, we don’t. would you ask us to second guess your doctor?

40.png
wOoKiE:
Unfortunately he didn’t have any info on what that entails.
😉

A good book to help you discern your vocation-The Journey and The Dream. A simple but effective introduction of Franciscan Spirituality.

God bless

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back