Should I Confess Everything? Even Forgivin Sins?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Raider_Red
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Raider_Red

Guest
I am coming into the Church in a few days and my wife is reverting. I have my first confession and she has her first in years coming up. We were discussion the sacrament of reconciliation the other day and something came up I need some help with. My wife was having trouble reconciling the fact that I told her she should try to confess everything (especially mortal sins) she has committed since her last confession. She said this confused her as she has asked for forgiveness from God and repented from those mortal sins and feels that God has forgiven her (which I would agree) and didn’t know why she would need to ask for forgiveness again if she has already been forgiven of them. I understand that auricular confession is the way Christ set things up and that it is the best and normal way for a Catholic Christian to reunite that broken bond. I don’t have a problem confessing all of my dirt but I don’t know how to answer my wife’s very good and valid question. Has God forgiven my sins in the past, even though I have never set foot in a confessional booth? If he hasn’t then aren’t all non-Catholic Christians up a creek? If God has forgiven my sins in the past, why would I need to confess them again? Any help on this question would be much appreciated. I want me and my wife to understand this as best as possible before we do it.
 
God may well have forgiven your wife, but confessing those sins will give her the assurance of forgiveness.

In addition, and possibly more importantly, it will give her absolution, which is not the same thing. Check out this thread for the difference.

So, yes, she should confess every mortal sin since her last good confession. God bless both of you as you come (back) to the Church in this holy season.

Betsy
 
Wonderful news and congratulations on coming home, both of you.

There are sacramental graces in the Sacrament of Reconciliation. Basically, mortal sins that we confess to God directly may be forgiven, but to reunite with the Church properly – i.e. be part of Christ’s mysterious body here on earth – one needs both forgiveness and absolution. Thus everyone is taught to confess all sins between now and the last good confession.

One way I like to think about it is that if I did something that really hurt my parents, I would not be satisfied till I have come into their full graces. If that means reminding myself or openly expressing sorrow more than once than so be it.

One last thing, there is a sin of presumption. From what I understand if you commit sins presuming that “sure, the old man in the sky will forgive me once I step into the confessional” then you need to confess that you presumed God’s forgiveness. It’s different than trusting and hoping for God’s forgiveness. It’s thinking to oneself that one can tie God’s hands with his Sacraments.
 
In the confessional, the priest represents both Christ and the Church. All sin offends both Christ (the Head) and the Church (the members of His body). A sinner needs to be reconciled with both. The priest’s absolution is also a juridical act. The priest, acting in the person of Christ, judges that the penitent’s contrition and purpose of amendment are sincere.

It is **possible **(but not certain) that she was forgiven by God (this assurance is part of the beauty of sacramental confession). But before receiving Communion in the Catholic Church again, she must confess all serious sins committed since her last good confession, in order both to receive the assurance of God’s forgiveness, and to reconcile with the Church.

A secular analogy: If someone cut off ties with their earthly family for a number of years, having offended relatives, been absent from all important family celebrations, etc., it wouldn’t be right for them to just show up for Thanksgiving dinner unannounced and act as though nothing had happened. Reconciliation would be needed.

Confession is also a great opportunity to grow in grace and to grow in humility. God loves humility. We should have at least the humility it takes to confess our sins.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top