Should I go to Confession?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Lucretius
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lucretius

Guest
I have been skipping class at my community college because I can’t focus on the subject, and I’m probably going to fail. I don’t know if this is a mortal sin.

Further, I want to go to confession, but I don’t think I’m going to stop skipping class, and will continue to do it this week. Since I’m not repentant, I’m going to avoid confession and refuse Communion.

What should I do?

Christi pax,

Lucretius
 
It’s not a mortal sin, so this person on the web would say it would not require you to abstain – if you believe you should then you should though I’d say.

But may I offer a plan? It sounds like you are just like a reed swaying in the breeze right now… like you’re not really sinning you’re just letting things happen without your concerted direction toward the goals you’ve ostensibly chosen.

The plan is that you make a decision: one way I’d love to see, is to contact your teacher by email or after class or whatever, and make an appointment to talk in phone or better yet in person. So basically instead of going to the priest, you go to the teacher.

You say “dear teacher, do you have a time you can discuss my situation with this class? We both know I’ve been having problems.” Then make an appointment to discuss in person or at least on the telephone. Most teachers have office hours for this exact sort of thing. It can be done email, but I’m concerned that won’t faze you into doing anything differently.

And then you subject yourself to the teacher’s guidance. They may help you organize how you go about study and prioritizing what you work on if you have limited time. You may apologize and say, “I’m sorry I’ve missed class but I’d like to work on improving.” Any good teacher is triggered by a student who wants to do better, and is willing to take special counsel from them. You can even convey your apparent confusion, “I would like to do better but I keep telling myself that and then I miss again. I would like to break out of that pattern.” Just tell them anything. You pay their salaries to help you, and if you let them know exactly where you are, then they are in the best position to do what they can.

It may seem like it takes a lot of courage and humility to reach out to a teacher, but if you do it, it may seem much easier after the fact, and could pay off big time.

I’ve been a teacher, and I’ve een a good student, and a lousy student, at different times in my life and unless you are so distressed you are just going to drop the class, working with the teacher one-on-one could completely change not only your outcome, but your enjoyment level in general with the class and even going to school. Academic stress can be very powerful, so just don’t let the stress control you.

After I flunked out once while working on my electrical engineering master’s, a few years later I took the last course I got an F (microprocessors), with the same teacher, and this time got an A. After class the first day, I told him that I had quit his class years ago, because I was intimidated by choosing a topic for class project. We ended up being pretty good friends, and he became my adviser.

It just may change your whole life experience with respect to education. 🙂

It may be scarier to face a teacher in the classroom or office, than a priest in the confessional, but the interactivity usually works out because just as when you are with a priest, when you are working with the teacher you have a common goal – your doing well.

Unless you have one of those really sadistic teachers who want to see student fail because they just have something against you. I’ve only had one teacher like that, ever, and that was in about 1971.

Or maybe two. :rolleyes:
 
What Mystical Seeker said. I did the same when I was in college. I was doing poorly in a class & started avoiding the situation by not going to class. Fortunately, I confided in a friend (a nun who always gave good advice!) and she told me I should have a conference with the teacher to see what I could do about catching up.

I wish I could say I passed the course, but it turned out I just wasn’t any good in that particular subject. But I did make the effort.
 
It’s not of grave matter, but if you did this while believing it to be, than you need to confess the fact that you did something you believed to be of grave matter at the time, the mortal sin committed being that you were willing to commit a mortal sin and part yourself from God.
 
It’s not of grave matter, but if you did this while believing it to be, than you need to confess the fact that you did something you believed to be of grave matter at the time, the mortal sin committed being that you were willing to commit a mortal sin and part yourself from God.
I honestly don’t know the difference between mortal sin and venial sin anymore. I have just assumed that sins (especially sins in thought) were mortal sins to be on the safe side.

Christi pax,

Lucretius
 
It’s not a mortal sin, so this person on the web would say it would not require you to abstain – if you believe you should then you should though I’d say.

But may I offer a plan? It sounds like you are just like a reed swaying in the breeze right now… like you’re not really sinning you’re just letting things happen without your concerted direction toward the goals you’ve ostensibly chosen.

The plan is that you make a decision: one way I’d love to see, is to contact your teacher by email or after class or whatever, and make an appointment to talk in phone or better yet in person. So basically instead of going to the priest, you go to the teacher.

You say “dear teacher, do you have a time you can discuss my situation with this class? We both know I’ve been having problems.” Then make an appointment to discuss in person or at least on the telephone. Most teachers have office hours for this exact sort of thing. It can be done email, but I’m concerned that won’t faze you into doing anything differently.

And then you subject yourself to the teacher’s guidance. They may help you organize how you go about study and prioritizing what you work on if you have limited time. You may apologize and say, “I’m sorry I’ve missed class but I’d like to work on improving.” Any good teacher is triggered by a student who wants to do better, and is willing to take special counsel from them. You can even convey your apparent confusion, “I would like to do better but I keep telling myself that and then I miss again. I would like to break out of that pattern.” Just tell them anything. You pay their salaries to help you, and if you let them know exactly where you are, then they are in the best position to do what they can.

It may seem like it takes a lot of courage and humility to reach out to a teacher, but if you do it, it may seem much easier after the fact, and could pay off big time.

I’ve been a teacher, and I’ve een a good student, and a lousy student, at different times in my life and unless you are so distressed you are just going to drop the class, working with the teacher one-on-one could completely change not only your outcome, but your enjoyment level in general with the class and even going to school. Academic stress can be very powerful, so just don’t let the stress control you.

After I flunked out once while working on my electrical engineering master’s, a few years later I took the last course I got an F (microprocessors), with the same teacher, and this time got an A. After class the first day, I told him that I had quit his class years ago, because I was intimidated by choosing a topic for class project. We ended up being pretty good friends, and he became my adviser.

It just may change your whole life experience with respect to education. 🙂

It may be scarier to face a teacher in the classroom or office, than a priest in the confessional, but the interactivity usually works out because just as when you are with a priest, when you are working with the teacher you have a common goal – your doing well.

Unless you have one of those really sadistic teachers who want to see student fail because they just have something against you. I’ve only had one teacher like that, ever, and that was in about 1971.

Or maybe two. :rolleyes:
I’ve missed so many classes I doubt I will make any difference. I did this last semester, and the semester before. I’m probably going to drop out of school after these classes this semester.

Christi pax,

Lucretius
 
I honestly don’t know the difference between mortal sin and venial sin anymore. I have just assumed that sins (especially sins in thought) were mortal sins to be on the safe side.

Christi pax,

Lucretius
As a rule of thumb, mortal sins are grave matters which you need to confess because you’ve willingly broken your bond with God. They stop you from receiving graces or participating in the Eucharist. For it to be a mortal sin, you have to willingly and intentionally commit the sin even though you knew it was a grave matter.

Venial sins are much less severe. They could be anything from feeling bad that you didn’t pray enough, perhaps didn’t do everything you could to help someone, acted in envy or pride, used foul language etc. You don’t necessarily need to confess these urgently as they don’t stop you from receiving the Eucharist and don’t damage your soul.

I’d say skipping class is neither really. If you’re a consensual adult, you’ve got every right to decide what you do with your time, as long as you’re not doing damage to anyone.
 
I’ve missed so many classes I doubt I will make any difference. I did this last semester, and the semester before. I’m probably going to drop out of school after these classes this semester.

Christi pax,

Lucretius
You certainly know the situation better than I do, but if you’re interested in education and just not cutting it in traditional school, then you might try some online ones. And now the big and “prestigious” schools are doing it, like Harvard. If you have a passion for a particular topics, start obsessively watching YouTubes and reading articles about it.

Here’s one place… Some of the courses you can take as much time as you like; I don’t know if all of them were like that.

HarvardX
Free online courses from Harvard University


No financial or social risk, only your time. You can teach yourself “baby steps” toward learning academic discipline, without the spectre of “get it done now or it’s late and you will be flogged” type feeling of traditional courses?

And for many many topics now, especially math which is where he started, check out “Khan’s academy” where you can watch any of his thousands of short videos. Great for quick polishing on a topic, or for learning a whole topic.

Khan Academy
 
You certainly know the situation better than I do, but if you’re interested in education and just not cutting it in traditional school, then you might try some online ones. And now the big and “prestigious” schools are doing it, like Harvard. If you have a passion for a particular topics, start obsessively watching YouTubes and reading articles about it.

Here’s one place… Some of the courses you can take as much time as you like; I don’t know if all of them were like that.

HarvardX
Free online courses from Harvard University


No financial or social risk, only your time. You can teach yourself “baby steps” toward learning academic discipline, without the spectre of “get it done now or it’s late and you will be flogged” type feeling of traditional courses?

And for many many topics now, especially math which is where he started, check out “Khan’s academy” where you can watch any of his thousands of short videos. Great for quick polishing on a topic, or for learning a whole topic.

Khan Academy
Thank you for the information 🙂

Christ I pax,

Lucretius
 
Let me add some new information to the problem:

I am not only skipping class, but I am also deceiving my parents into thinking that I am going to them. Would this be a mortal sin?

Christi pax,

Lucretius
 
Let me add some new information to the problem:

I am not only skipping class, but I am also deceiving my parents into thinking that I am going to them. Would this be a mortal sin?

Christi pax,

Lucretius
That could be. Especially if they have a specific investment in the schooling and/or you [are still living with them and] are a minor.

For that, I might recommend you ask your pastor for time time to speak with him one-on-one to get some guidance on that. You have already said that you don’t foresee improvement with or without confession. Maybe he can help you identify what is causing this behavior that you find self-destructive but are having a rough time breaking.

So there are really two parts. Finding out what your options are right now, based on what has happened thus far. I’d say look more for “cause” than “blame” in other words try to identify causes rather than self-deprecate as may be tempting. The difference is that you can be honest with your motives and your fears, whatever, without having to be mad at them or judgmental of them. This is also where a private audience with the pastor can help.

If that isn’t available, or if you don’t have a good relationship with the pastor, we’ll may need a few new ideas.
 
That could be. Especially if they have a specific investment in the schooling and/or you [are still living with them and] are a minor.

For that, I might recommend you ask your pastor for time time to speak with him one-on-one to get some guidance on that. You have already said that you don’t foresee improvement with or without confession. Maybe he can help you identify what is causing this behavior that you find self-destructive but are having a rough time breaking.

So there are really two parts. Finding out what your options are right now, based on what has happened thus far. I’d say look more for “cause” than “blame” in other words try to identify causes rather than self-deprecate as may be tempting. The difference is that you can be honest with your motives and your fears, whatever, without having to be mad at them or judgmental of them. This is also where a private audience with the pastor can help.

If that isn’t available, or if you don’t have a good relationship with the pastor, we’ll may need a few new ideas.
I went to confession, and the priest absolved me. Now, I don’t know if I’m going to lie anymore: I don’t really want to sin anymore. I’m not going to enjoy the results of honesty in this life though…

The biggest problem is my own mental and emotional issues, so I’m still trying to figure out what I’m going to do next. But anyway, off topic!

The priest (this is at an Oratory: very orthodox priests here 👍) told me at it was a “serious” sin, so I would say it might be a mortal sin.

Christi pax.
 
I went to confession, and the priest absolved me. Now, I don’t know if I’m going to lie anymore: I don’t really want to sin anymore. I’m not going to enjoy the results of honesty in this life though…

The biggest problem is my own mental and emotional issues, so I’m still trying to figure out what I’m going to do next. But anyway, off topic!
I think it’s intimately interwoven into the topic, though. When mental/emotional state isn’t right, it can get in the way of making practically any other plan work. 😦
The priest (this is at an Oratory: very orthodox priests here 👍) told me at it was a “serious” sin, so I would say it might be a mortal sin.
Christi pax.
Yes, “serious” sin is usually the same thing as “mortal” sin, although Teresa of Avila thought it was kind of odd.

As far as she was concerned, any time we believe we know what God wants and intentionally do something else, venial or mortal, it’s a pretty serious situation. (Paraphrased by me – it was a few years ago I read it.)

You come across like you are ready to move ahead, and have taken a step. Who knows what tomorrow will bring, but today I think you are moving in the direction you want to go.
 
As far as she was concerned, any time we believe we know what God wants and intentionally do something else, venial or mortal, it’s a pretty serious situation.
I would urge readers to be careful with this sort of language. Let’s also be cautious with what “saints said” if there are no citations we can look up for ourselves.

Yes, actively choosing venial sins, and not caring that they are sins, is a big deal. Yes, we should avoid such things, especially if we rarely, if ever, commit mortal sins: avoiding venial sins is the next step.

… but by no means are distinctions between venial and mortal sins in any way useless or outdated or somehow incorrect, as could be inferred from the quoted post.

Strongly suspecting that God may want me to be more involved at a soup kitchen, and yet choosing to not do so because I’m lazy, is not quite the same thing as my going on a murdering spree at a local mall. Moreover, the spiritual repercussions of these two types of sins are in no way similar: dying unrepentant of the former will not damn me to hell.

Let’s just be clear on that, yes? 👍
 
I would urge readers to be careful with this sort of language. Let’s also be cautious with what “saints said” if there are no citations we can look up for ourselves.

Yes, actively choosing venial sins, and not caring that they are sins, is a big deal. Yes, we should avoid such things, especially if we rarely, if ever, commit mortal sins: avoiding venial sins is the next step.

… but by no means are distinctions between venial and mortal sins in any way useless or outdated or somehow incorrect, as could be inferred from the quoted post.

Strongly suspecting that God may want me to be more involved at a soup kitchen, and yet choosing to not do so because I’m lazy, is not quite the same thing as my going on a murdering spree at a local mall. Moreover, the spiritual repercussions of these two types of sins are in no way similar: dying unrepentant of the former will not damn me to hell.

Let’s just be clear on that, yes? 👍
Sure. Saints writings are not necessarily Church teachings. This is not to advance scrupulosity or to reduce the importance of the distinction. It’s just that St. Teresa herself, did apparently speak of reducing the importance of the distinction the Church makes, in her own mind.

And for a legalistic disclaimer: saint writings are not necessarily binding upon Catholics, and as always do not risk your eternal soul on what someone from the Internet writes – confirm anything you think is important with at least one highly orthodox priest.

I do not intend to promote scruples, or suggest Teresa had them. But to fail to point out that she did consider a “venial sin” as qualitatively no different than a “mortal sin” in terms of its seriousness and its significance on our relationships with God, would be to miss out on what one of the Doctors of the Church wrote about Church teachings. Saints often talk about going beyond what the Church teaches as minimum practices, because they are called to strive to go by “So be perfect, just as your heavenly Father is perfect” (Mt 5:48) rather than “just good enough.” As I said I don’t want to promote scrupulosity; I’ve known and worked with a few scrupulous and that is truly a cross to bear IMO.

Maybe I should start quoting Acquinas; people take his stuff seriously. 😉 But I’ve read enough of his stuff that at first I was interested in all the “head knowledge” but now I’m more interested in the mysticism and in Divine Transformation – of course with Divine Union as the goal. So writings like hers just seem more “rich” in the “touchy-feely” department (in the heart) which is where I think Jesus placed a lot of emphasis. 👍

Sorry I can’t find the quote, though. My son took the book in which I saw it, with him to the seminary. I’m not finding it with Google – guess you’ll have to take my word for it that I’ve represented it correctly, let it go, or if you can find it please bring it to the thread, if you would. I seem to remember the particular words “serious matter indeed” but I’m not having any luck. 🤷
 
It’s not a mortal sin, so this person on the web would say it would not require you to abstain – if you believe you should then you should though I’d say.

But may I offer a plan? It sounds like you are just like a reed swaying in the breeze right now… like you’re not really sinning you’re just letting things happen without your concerted direction toward the goals you’ve ostensibly chosen.

The plan is that you make a decision: one way I’d love to see, is to contact your teacher by email or after class or whatever, and make an appointment to talk in phone or better yet in person. So basically instead of going to the priest, you go to the teacher.

You say “dear teacher, do you have a time you can discuss my situation with this class? We both know I’ve been having problems.” Then make an appointment to discuss in person or at least on the telephone. Most teachers have office hours for this exact sort of thing. It can be done email, but I’m concerned that won’t faze you into doing anything differently.

And then you subject yourself to the teacher’s guidance. They may help you organize how you go about study and prioritizing what you work on if you have limited time. You may apologize and say, “I’m sorry I’ve missed class but I’d like to work on improving.” Any good teacher is triggered by a student who wants to do better, and is willing to take special counsel from them. You can even convey your apparent confusion, “I would like to do better but I keep telling myself that and then I miss again. I would like to break out of that pattern.” Just tell them anything. You pay their salaries to help you, and if you let them know exactly where you are, then they are in the best position to do what they can.

It may seem like it takes a lot of courage and humility to reach out to a teacher, but if you do it, it may seem much easier after the fact, and could pay off big time.

I’ve been a teacher, and I’ve een a good student, and a lousy student, at different times in my life and unless you are so distressed you are just going to drop the class, working with the teacher one-on-one could completely change not only your outcome, but your enjoyment level in general with the class and even going to school. Academic stress can be very powerful, so just don’t let the stress control you.

After I flunked out once while working on my electrical engineering master’s, a few years later I took the last course I got an F (microprocessors), with the same teacher, and this time got an A. After class the first day, I told him that I had quit his class years ago, because I was intimidated by choosing a topic for class project. We ended up being pretty good friends, and he became my adviser.

It just may change your whole life experience with respect to education. 🙂

It may be scarier to face a teacher in the classroom or office, than a priest in the confessional, but the interactivity usually works out because just as when you are with a priest, when you are working with the teacher you have a common goal – your doing well.

Unless you have one of those really sadistic teachers who want to see student fail because they just have something against you. I’ve only had one teacher like that, ever, and that was in about 1971.

Or maybe two. :rolleyes:
I agree w mystical seeker. You as a mature adult have to see your teacher and salvage what you can or drop the class. Only the teacher can guide you. May God be with you on this journey and give you strength to follow through, in Jesus name. tweedlealice
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top