Should I own multiple bibles?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mdrummer5
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mdrummer5

Guest
I know there would be nothing wrong with it, but would it serve a purpose?

For example, I was given a copy of the NAB by the lady who runs RCIA for the church I attend. I’m reading through it and for the most part the language is fairly easy to follow.

What I’m thinking about now is the Ignatius Catholic Study Bible. For the most part I’m sure the translation itself is fairly similar but I’m wondering if it would help me more in understanding the faith or if instead of getting another bible would I be better served getting Catholicism for Dummies (which has gotten great reviews) or some similar book. Any help here is appreciated.
 
Yes, definitely. Get the Ignatius 2nd Edition, if for nothing else, than the commentary. I hate the NAB’s commentary, although I do like its translation.
 
Thanks, those were actually my thoughts as well… I do like the translation of the NAB but the commentary doesn’t do nearly as good of a job at explaining some parts as well as the Ignatius (I downloaded a sample to my phone :))
 
Thanks, those were actually my thoughts as well… I do like the translation of the NAB but the commentary doesn’t do nearly as good of a job at explaining some parts as well as the Ignatius (I downloaded a sample to my phone :))
I think it is always good, in general, to have one main Bible that you use daily for prayer and study. Gaining a familiarity with one text can help in memorization. However, things like the Ignatius Catholic Study Bible NT are very good for it’s notes, commentary, and articles. There is also a parallel Catholic New Testament, published by Oxford University Press, which contains 8 Catholic translations in one book. So, I recommend remaining focused in one translation, while having reference tools that use other translations as well.

BTW: Are you aware that the NAB OT is being revised and the new edition, known as the NABRE, will be released on Ash Wednesday?
 
I know there would be nothing wrong with it, but would it serve a purpose?

For example, I was given a copy of the NAB by the lady who runs RCIA for the church I attend. I’m reading through it and for the most part the language is fairly easy to follow.

What I’m thinking about now is the Ignatius Catholic Study Bible. For the most part I’m sure the translation itself is fairly similar but I’m wondering if it would help me more in understanding the faith or if instead of getting another bible would I be better served getting Catholicism for Dummies (which has gotten great reviews) or some similar book. Any help here is appreciated.
I would recommend the Douay-Rheims Bible with the Haydock Commentary. Also, the Cornelius Lapide’s Commentary online is excellent! It doesn’t have all the bible commentary yet but what’s there is the best. Here’s the website:catholicapologetics.info/scripture/newtestament/Lapide.htm The Haydock Commentary comes in the Douay-Rheims Bible.

The Douay-Rheims is the old version like the protestant King James but it is very accurate and beautiful. It’s a word for word translation of Jerome’s Latin Vulgate.
 
FWIW, the NAB is the official biblical text used for English Masses in the U.S. In other words, the lectionary of Mass readings uses this translation. Hence, using the NAB at home exposes readers to the same wording and phrases they will hear at Mass.

On the other hand, the RSV is widely considered (by various Christian Scripture scholars) to be the closest English translation of the original Hebrew & Greek. The Ignatius Study Bible and the Navarre Bible Commentary both utilize the RSV.

In light of all this, I think the NAB is good for prayerful scriptural meditation, and the RSV is good as a study Bible (although I tend to use it for prayerful reading as well).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top