• Thread starter Thread starter SheepsCousin
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SheepsCousin

The Catechism of the church says this:

2187 Sanctifying Sundays and holy days requires
a common effort. Every Christian should avoid making unnecessary demands on others that would hinder them from observing the Lord’s Day. Traditional activities (sport, restaurants, etc.), and social necessities (public services, etc.), require some people to work on Sundays, but everyone should still take care to set aside sufficient time for leisure. With temperance and charity the faithful will see to it that they avoid the excesses and violence sometimes associated with popular leisure activities. In spite of economic constraints, public authorities should ensure citizens a time intended for rest and divine worship. Employers have a similar obligation toward their employees

Would this mean I shouldn’t watch sport on Sunday because it’s forcing and encouraging people to work?

I’d say, unofficially, that there’s nothing wrong with it.

The sports almost have to be held on Sunday because that’s a day a lot of people have off when there’s an audience for them. So, since the people involved with the sports pretty much have to work that day anyway for that reason, individual Catholics watching or not watching that day probably wouldn’t be a big factor in forcing others to work.

IMO yes it’s honorable to let it go and let Sunday be more of a day of rest to offer to God.

I have to wonder whether the fact that the events have a fairly strong focus on Sunday, if that naturally contributed to a decline in the attitudes exhibited on and off the field. To me, there’s just too much disordered behavior in most of the popular spectator sports (here in the US, anyway).

The fact that it creates an obligation for a lot of people to work on Sunday is a sincere consideration. I can’t buy into the “they’re going to be working no matter what I do” argument.

Editing to add:
Limiting it to the occasional Sunday seems healthy too.

Last edited:
Viewers aren’t forcing people - certainly players - to work on Sundays. Breweries and truck manufacturers are - who pay big bucks to the networks to keep the sports machine going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back