J
jhigh
Guest
As many of you are aware, I am preparing to be accepted into the Catholic church at Easter this year (went to my first class last night). My family and I have been attending Mass regularly and learning as much as we can about the liturgy and rituals. We try to make sure that we are doing everything “right” without crossing any lines or being inappropriate (like accepting the Eucharist).
A couple of weeks go we noticed everyone blessing themselves with holy water upon entering and exiting the church. Naturally, we started doing this as well. I learned last night, however, that Catholics do this to remind themselves of their baptism. Considering that we have not been sacrimentally baptized (we were all baptized previously in a Protestant church and my priest has already determined that we must be conditionally baptized), should we bless ourselves with the holy water or is this crossing a line?
I plan to ask my priest when I see him, but I’m interesting in hearing everyone’s thoughts on this.
A couple of weeks go we noticed everyone blessing themselves with holy water upon entering and exiting the church. Naturally, we started doing this as well. I learned last night, however, that Catholics do this to remind themselves of their baptism. Considering that we have not been sacrimentally baptized (we were all baptized previously in a Protestant church and my priest has already determined that we must be conditionally baptized), should we bless ourselves with the holy water or is this crossing a line?
I plan to ask my priest when I see him, but I’m interesting in hearing everyone’s thoughts on this.